Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blown primer...what next?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Sounds ammo related to me. The IMI that I have shot seemed hot to me, and wasn't very accurate in my rifle. I know some have had success with it, but not me when I tried it. Purely unscientific observation on my part, but that's my impression of it.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Blown primers, even a single one are magnetically attracted to the fire control group. It's one of the laws of physics or something.
    Yup, blown primers are bad juju.

That's why crimped primers are a real good idea and give some measure of insurance.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The can pin Area sucks. If they get in there, the gun can be completely locked up.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Aren't the primers crimped on that IMI ammo? Most of their product line has crimped primers. It was my understanding a stray primer is a result of loose primer pockets whereas a popped/pierced primer is indicative of overpressure. One can experience stray primers without having pressure issues but I agree some of the IMI ammo seems fairly hot.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 07-06-17 at 17:50.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    Primers pop out when there is less case support by the bolt face with the residual casing pressure blowing them out for their tension and a casing head distortion situations that reduce the proper tension between them. Higher peak pressures do not help this.
    There's a few things that we can look at here, and a few remedies.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Aren't the primers crimped on that IMI ammo?
    Crimp depth and tension varies widely. I've had some xm193 brass where I could re-prime it without even removing the crimp. Whereas other types of brass/crimps can be really stout.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    While that blown primer probably has an an ammo component to it, I would bet that Ned's reamer would fix it.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've ordered one of Ned Christiansen's 223/556 chamber gage to check the chamber. Will go from there depending on what I find out. Thanks to all on this thread for your info and shared knowledge.

NC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Primers pop out when there is less case support by the bolt face with the residual casing pressure blowing them out for their tension and a casing head distortion situations that reduce the proper tension between them. Higher peak pressures do not help this.
    There's a few things that we can look at here, and a few remedies.
    If this was the case wouldn't this be happening all the time with different types of ammo?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Update

I tested the barrel with the Ned Christiansen gauge and I thought the chamber might be slightly on the tight side. I sent the barrel (entire upper) to the manufacturer for their inspection. The manufacturer felt the chamber was within spec. They also test fired it using IMI M193 that I supplied from the same lot, as well as Federal XM193 and had no failures either suppressed or unsuppressed. I have since checked another 11.5 " barrel chamber and the gauge was snug in that one also. I have had no issues with this barrel when running suppressed.

I fired approx 100 rounds of GECO 223, CBC M193 and CBC 62 gr 556 suppressed without issue. All of this ammo was fed from Gen 3 PMAGS. Perhaps one bad round is what I encountered. I will continue testing the upper suppressed and try out some CBC 556 77 gr OTM and BH 556 77 gr OTM or TMK and see how it performs.

As a side: Manufacturer was very good to work with on this issue. I had a good conversation with the owner (I think) about the testing they did. At this point, I guess I'll feel comfortable with the upper if I can get 1K+ through it suppressed without issue.

NC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast