Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Need help making up my mind on a red dot.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    I get what you're saying here, and I think it's probably true for most shooters, but couldn't the larger FOV help for people who take a split-second longer to find the dot before firing? I've got a couple of cross eye dominant buddies who have dealt with this. They've said the larger FOV make and huge difference and they all shoot with both eyes open.
    There shouldn't be any looking for the dot. If you bring the rifle up and get a proper cheek weld, the dot should be right there where its suppose to be on target and in the center of the optic.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    There shouldn't be any looking for the dot. If you bring the rifle up and get a proper cheek weld, the dot should be right there where its suppose to be on target and in the center of the optic.
    Agreed, this is true...for most shooters. I'm not cross eye dominant, so I'm just reporting what I've heard, but i think sometimes needing an extra split second to find the dot or get proper focus through the correct eyeball sort of comes with the territory. And everyone I know who has had this issue is a squared away shooter so correctness of cheek weld, form, position, etc. is not the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Agreed, this is true...for most shooters. I'm not cross eye dominant, so I'm just reporting what I've heard, but i think sometimes needing an extra split second to find the dot or get proper focus through the correct eyeball sort of comes with the territory. And everyone I know who has had this issue is a squared away shooter so correctness of cheek weld, form, position, etc. is not the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    TXBK is absolutely correct. Your eye should be on the target and not the dot. If you're searching for the dot you need training / additional reps.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The difference in FOV based on optic window width is pretty small.

I agree that if you come anywhere near to a decent cheekweld you should not be hunting for the red dot regardless of window size.

If you get a good cheekweld and you're staring straight at the target and the red dot isn't superimposed upon the target, there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

For the small price difference, just get an Aimpoint Micro H2(unless using NOD) 2 moa with whatever mount you want (Larues are super cheap used these days- yes they dig into your rail over time, but they still just plain work and can be removed very easily which I find important).

Feedback Score
    I also like my 503C. The height is fine for me, as I prefer lower 1/3. I will not place Holosun in the same legendary class as Aimpoint, but I haven't babied mine, and it's held up fine. So has a Primary Arms advanced micro dot, which I'm fairly certain is made by Holosun.

I have zero experience with MRO or T1. I am fond of my comp m2 & H1. I just can't afford to put top shelf optics on everything. I must admit, Holosun glass is impressive, with great clarity for the money. To me, it seems every bit as clear as Aimpoint. Not as clear as ACOG,(neither are my Aimpoints). if MRO is as crystal clear as ACOG, that might be something to consider, but I keep hearing and reading there is a definite tint with MRO.

I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with Aimpoint or Trijicon.

Good luck. Be safe.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have a t1 on my patrol rifle. It is absolutely wonderful. At home i have a vortex sparq ar on my main rifle and it has taken an absolute beating.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    TXBK is absolutely correct. Your eye should be on the target and not the dot. If you're searching for the dot you need training / additional reps.
    I'm probably not articulating my point very well but all I was/am trying to point out was that FOV in RDS's does actually make a difference in some cases. One of those ways is that it seems to helps C.E.D. shooters with focusing issues. Again, I'm not actually having these issues. I'm just sharing anecdotal experience of someone else's anecdotal experience.
    Last edited by tsalagi88; 08-23-17 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm probably not articulating my point very well but all I was/am trying to point out was that FOV in RDS's does actually make a difference in some cases. One of those ways is that it seems to helps C.E.D. shooters with focusing issues. Again, I'm not actually having these issues. I'm just sharing anecdotal experience of someone else's anecdotal experience.
    I am right-handed and left eye dominant. That doesn't change anything when I use a RDS.

Some shooters have issues using a RDS on a pistol at first. This is because they are looking for the dot.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Larger FOV helps when shooting from unconventional positions. If standing up and not moving, it doesn't really matter, but when shooting around barricades and under cars'stuff, it helps a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got multiple MROs, and a T1 as far as red dots are concerned. If you ever plan to run a magnifier and want a crisp dot, do with a T2 or any of the full sized aimpoints, (Pro, comps, etc.)

If you never plan to run a magnifier, the MRO is not a bad choice. I sort of prefer them over my T1 because of how the larger front lense takes the whole "looking through a carboard tube" portion away. Also, they are cheaper.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast