Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a six pack back in late thirties or settle for a pony keg at 37

Feedback Score

Getting a six pack back in late thirties or settle for a pony keg at 37

If I'm being too superficial, flame me now and shut the thread down. I am going to be 38 this fall, and since my early 20s, life has gotten in the way of staying in optimal shape. I am 5'8", weigh 165, and used to bike a good amount, worked an active job and maintained a slim but good physique. I've maintained my weight for the last 15 years and am still mostly happy with my fitness(I work around our large lot at home and keep up with two young kids), but I've lost my six pack. I'm not usually a self conscious person, but this is one area I am not happy with. Since I didn't have to workout before, I need some help. I am not after looking like a male model, but I want to see if I can at least get my abs back, and I don't know what good/safe excercises I need to do. I will add that I have a good gym at work I can use whenever I want. I eat clean 90% of the time, well balanced with 1 cheat meal a week(kids have dietary restrictions so easier for whole family to eat the same. I assume I'll need to limit calories too(2400 a day average now), but willing to take some knowledgeable advice, especially if anyone has done the same thing before.
    Last edited by Gabriel556; 07-06-17 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's an age old adage that may help you. "Six packs are made in the kitchen not the gym."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't think it's superficial at all. I'd like to look my best until I die. While the initial reason for wanting a six-pack may seem 'superficial' or 'vain'; what you have to do to get there will mean that you are probably making changes which benefit your overall health; which is a huge positive. Growing up, I was always a 'skinny' kid, but never had defined abs; even when I got into competitive cycling and swimming. I started weight training after college and put on 25 lbs of muscle, but neglected my cardio for a number of years (played hockey but didn't do any additional cardio). I've been consistently hitting the gym at least twice a week for the past 25 years. My diet, on the other hand, has not been consistent. When I was younger in my 20's and 30's, I'd eat a lot of whatever I wanted, especially since I was also trying to bulk up. In my late 30's and early 40's I made improvements in my diet to address high cholesterol and triglycerides; and that has pretty much remained constant. But, in my mid-40's I decided to do a bit better and gave myself a challenge of trying to get a six pack, which I had never had in my entire life. I was eating healthier, smaller portions and also doing a bunch of cardio and strength training. I'd say I got 85% of the way to a 'real' six pack. Not an underwear model six-pack, but much better than I had previously. Here's a snapshot I took at age 47 in 2015:

march3-2015s.jpg

I maintained it through diet and exercise (mostly diet) until I had a motorcycle accident in late 2015, where I fractured 3 vertebrae, 4 ribs, had a rotator cuff tear and partially collapsed lung. I'm still recovering from the effects of that accident and back to about 80% of where I was in strength, but I did lose my six-pack. Haven't been as strict on my diet either. But, I'm making it a goal to make improvements again and get closer to that six-pack by this time next year. I'll be turning 50 in January.

My point is, it's never too late to make improvements in diet and exercise or to set goals; in fact it's our responsibility to do so, both for ourselves and our family. I'm lucky that my wife is also on board with the eating healthy thing, as she has our 9-year old son's best interests in mind. We have also been indoor rock climbing 2-3 times a week for the past 4 years (except when I had to stop for 6 months due to my accident), so that has been a great help for maintaining overall strength for me.

I'd say 'go for it!'. If you've had a six-pack before, you're already a step ahead of me. I'm going to drag my aching body back on the six-pack bandwagon as well. What I did before was to eat healthier (you know what's not good for you, like fried foods), eat a little less, do both cardio and strength workouts, and that was it. There wasn't any secret to it. The biggest battle for me is mental - maintaining the discipline. Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I did a Google search and found a lot that was written about it starting in the kitchen. While I agree portion control and a well balanced diet is key, I am very close to that already. If I cut food portions down, I starve and am cranky/moody/exhausted. I do realize I need to challenge myself a bit and probably need a gym partner to push me. I run on a semi regular basis(not on a treadmill) but I find that unless I do it at lunch, it's dark when I have the opportunity and living on a busy state road that isn't lit is a great way to get dead fast. I am working on calorie counting(actually being honest with myself), and am already trying to be diligent about food choices.

I always was that skinny little kid growing up, and am still decently slim. I definitely don't have arms like my thighs nor the shoulder structure to go with it, so I think it's doable. And I don't have a lot to lose, but I do have a small bit of the love handle going on.

MM, I would honestly be very happy with that and would make that an attainable goal. I haven't ever really lifted weights (grew up a farm boy and have always done lots of manual labor around the house) so I don't know how to do SAFE excercises in the gym. Maybe I need to find a trainer to help for a little bit for coaching.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Start lifting heavy ass weight and eat right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Start lifting heavy ass weight and eat right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not very specific.

I had a 6pack in college (about 15yrs ago). I was quite slim and very very active back then.

Basically you have workout every day (cardio + weights) and have a good diet. They say 60% or so is from your diet which is quite true.

After I got into my mid-30's its quite hard to get back in that same fitness level even though I workout almost the same (but diet is on-and-off). Old age and slower metabolism sucks... Although I still consider myself fit and healthy. I can do about 12 pull-ups and 40 push-ups, and run sub-7min/mile. Knees and ankles are bad now so its a little slower, but you can always substitute other sports.

Diet is really key here. If you eat clean 95% of the time, you will get those abs back. You'd have to work hard for it though. I believe you need to be in about 8-11% body fat range to see abs. BMI is not a consistent indicator so I don't follow that chart. When I had a six pack I was 8.5% body fat. But I literally worked out 2x a day (basketball and weights), then ate well. Although when you are younger, you can get away with eating bad because your body can still compensate if you have a fast metabolism.

In summary, eat more fruits/veggies, protein, low carb/sugar, and exercise 6x/week. Track your calories and fat percentage.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 07-08-17 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    'Having' a six pack comes down to body fat. In order for your abdominal muscles to be visible you need to be ultra-lean. You can do as many stomach crunches or ab roll-outs as you'd like, but those muscles will not be getting any more visible unless you cut down on the body fat.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    You're talking about losing that last few pounds of body fat in order to see those abs. The last few pounds take more effort in the gym and a more optimized diet than it does to get the first few pounds off. Diet will be the biggest factor though. 2400 cals seems like a pretty decent caloric level that still leaves some room to cut from, but what are those cals made up of? What is your macro ratio? What have you done in the last 3,6, or 12 months with your diet?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The vast majority of body issues are simply due to lack of impulse control and self-control. If you want a six pack, then do what it takes. Keep track of fat, carbs, calories, protein, and micros. As a change of lifestyle, you need to refine how you eat, but more importantly, how you think of eating.

I don't give a phuck what I eat. I just keep track of calories, protein, carbs, fat, and micros. I don't limit the types of food I eat, just the amount of fats, carbs, calories, and protein to do what I need by body to do. Lose weight for a BJJ tourney, gain muscle to move up a weight class, adding distance to runs, etc.

My six-pack is made in the kitchen.

As an illustration to how important the kitchen is to six-pack, I have kept my six-pack through late last yrs. back surgery that only now is allowing me to exercise. This meant curtailing my daily caloric and fat intake and dropping to a much lower weight. I want to be in shape for my young kids and my wife. Don't want to be the fat body dad at children's events. Staying in shape makes the wife happy and then she in turn makes me happy.
    Last edited by 6933; 07-11-17 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Breakfast may be a Sprite and a hamburger patty. Lunch maybe yogurt with peanut butter. Dinner depends on what I have eaten earlier. Maybe a protein shake, Sprite, and some pasta. Just examples of not limiting yourself with the thought process that certain foods go with certain meals.

At 5'8", 165lbs., that seems too much weight for the frame size; however, you could be muscular. 2400 calories is also too much if you are looking to lose weight/get six-pack.

Calories for you should be in the 1800-1900/day range. Basing it on you weighing 155# as a more ideal weight. Could be wrong which throws off calculations. 50-60g fat per day. Fat is approx. 9 calories per gram. Get a significant portion of calories from protein. Carbs will be dictated by what the scale shows. Increasing/decreasing activity levels means adjusting food intake and the percentages from fat, protein, carbs.

I am a firm believer in meal skipping and not eating at all periodically(IF). Both can help maintain and get to where you want to be.

Really boils down to how bad you want to reach your goal and if there are other priorities that impede the process. Don't be your own worst enemy. It's all a mind game.

Me? I like being very fit; as I get older, I am starting to feel like a unicorn. Very, very few maintain their bodies once they hit mid-30's and beyond. Obesity is a serious issue and I'll be damned if I contribute or become a poor role model for my family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast