Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a six pack back in late thirties or settle for a pony keg at 37

Feedback Score
    I'm going to be 35 this year and finally have a 4-pack. I've dropped 70lbs over the last year and a half while building up a lot of strength. I still have a little layer of fat around the very bottom of my waist which will only go away with a strict diet and plenty of HIIT. My ultimate goal is to have a well defined 6-pack for no other reason than I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is perhaps the best article I've read (and applied) on body re composition along with macro and programming recommendations. I can't recommend Jordan Feigenbaum enough.

"To Be a Beast"

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/584-2/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Well, no one wants to post a shirtless selfie at the START of a program. I wouldn't. However, do take photos every week just for yourself at the same time in the same place (so the lighting is the same). I've found that my progress selfies that I took when getting in shape are now my best motivators a couple of years later. They're evidence to me that I can do it because I've done it before. It really is a head game with yourself, and I'll use whatever tool (even if it's my own selfie) to motivate myself.
    I do this too, but in my 17 to 12 percent in 6 weeks thread, I also opted not to post them.

Feedback Score
    I've been living with the "dadbod" for years already. Though I used to be physically fit back then, like you. Go for the 6pack while you still can!!

Feedback Score
    During an interview with a world champion rugby player, the gentleman in question said, "I'm a rugby player, not a fashion model. If I want to eat a pizza a day before the match, and that'll make me feel better, then I am going to eat a pizza."

I say this to make sure that you keep your goals in mind.

Personally, I want to be able to deadlift 2x bodyweight, squat 1.5x, and press 1x, while keeping mile run times sub 7:45, and rucking a 35-45lb pack in 14:00/mile or less. If I eat like garbage while accomplishing those goals, then so be it. Now, I won't accomplish those goals eating pizza rolls (and I don't eat that garbage), but again, my point is that I find it massively helpful to stay on task when that task is specifically performance related.

A nice side note of those goals, I keep slim for my height and weight, with only minor fluctuations based on what I am stuffing down my feedhole.

ETA: those statements already about how diet makes for most of the game have it spot on. Again, I try to stay focused on goals, rather than minutia. I personally don't care to count everything and to render my mealtimes into just another place in my life where I have to lavish excessive discipline. That said, those steering you towards making more strategic choices about your diet are close to what I've found to be The Truth. Eschew carbohydrates; treat all carbs, all bread, as birthday cake. Choose to only take in carbs as a purely luxury good. For me, that is ice cream and beer, full stop. No bread otherwise if I can at all help it. Lean meats. A predominance of veggies, especially good greens. A typical grocery basket is two or three bags of greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc.), some vegetables, a slab of meat, some eggs, and a quart of milk to mix with protein shakes.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 09-14-17 at 02:36.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123