Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a six pack back in late thirties or settle for a pony keg at 37

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    What others said above. But eating small portions throughout the day instead of big meals gets rid of that gut. I eat continuously throughout the day and have single digit percent body fat. Im pretty active so that helps, but getting rid of that man pooch for most is the first key. Cardio. More cardio. And higher reps of weights. You have to get lean to show your abs. And then you can continue building those muscles up after the fact with weighted abs or incline sit-ups and such. Eating right is key. This is hard unless you have someone cooking healthy for you. I'm lucky as I do. Many people don't do enough abs. I do some sort of abs every time I lift. No excuses. Also body weight lifts are key to getting tone. Push-ups. Dips. Pull ups. Chin-ups. Lunges. Etc. Get creative with abs. Do 100 reps of something a day. Toe touches. Crunches. Sit-ups. Anything.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    I am thankful this didn't turn bad. I appreciate everyone and their input. I eat very balanced meals now, but as you all mentioned, I could eat a significant amount less. I have done a good job of portion control before to lose some weight gained when I wasn't able to be active and shed it within 6 months with just that. I've begun actively counting calories and content (wife has an app that worked well) and am planning a fitness routine that I can do in the basement either in the morning or night. I can't skip meals or I basically get loopy, but can easily eat small portions every 2 hours. 165 is the heaviest I get now, usually wavering around 160 but I look in the mirror and can see the areas that I collect fat at (handles and little in the stomach area). The rest of me is already very lean so I do believe it's doable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Gabriel- Sounds to me like you have your head on right and are realistic. You are already ahead of the curve.

Now kick that fat's ass, get to be where you want physically, and drive on with a new outlook and lifestyle. Unfortunately, more sex will probably result.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I highly recommend Tom Venuto's eBook "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle". He's a natural body builder and fitness guru of some reknown.

Besides the simplistic mantra we all know of 'consume less (calories) & expend more (activity), he does write in a way that clearly drives home key points and take-aways. Biggest impact for me was learning my body type and that I'm highly carb sensitive. To that end, he has specific meal plans (don't say or think 'diet') and exercise regimens for the different body types and your fitness goals.

He also works on the changes you need to make in your mind, thoughts and psyche. Also set goals ... as desires without goals are nothing but wishful thinking.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the recommendation...I'm definitely gonna have to check that book out.

I have no desire for a six-pack, but I could stand to lose a pound or 50...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I have no desire for a six-pack, but I could stand to lose a pound or 50...
    I got the best results when I ate simple - chicken & good dark/darker green veggies, oatmeal, protein shake smoothies et al - and grazed, eating smaller meals (typical 'meal' split in 2) 6+ times a day. Dozen almonds or peanut butter for snacks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I did a couple Whole30's back when that thing came out, but honestly I think it did more harm than anything to my eating habits. I lost weight while I was on it, but immediately gained it all back plus some when I went back to eating not-Whole30. It also gets you into a weird food-guilt mindset which is difficult to manage...Like a weird paleo eating disorder where you constantly second guess every food option until you just give up and eat a whole chocolate cake. Looking back, I suppose a "diet" plan created by a drug addict wasn't the best idea after all. :-) I did learn that my body doesn't like wheat, but overall, I think the experience was more negative than anything.

I've been sorta-mostly-paleo lately, but it's been a struggle. Anytime I eat carbs now, it's like instant weight gain, but I crave carbs like a motherf-er.

I was going regular workouts with a trainer, but I wasn't recovering, and I ended up really sick and super fatigued, like "I don't have the energy to get out of bed and walk to the toilet" fatigued. Recovering from that broke the habit of going and I so haven't been back to the gym in like 9 months. I walk a decent amount every day, but I think I need to put some strength training back. Just not at the intensity level I was doing before.

So something different might be good. I put "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" in my Amazon list, so I'll def pick it up soon and look it over. Thx!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I did a couple Whole30's back when that thing came out, but honestly I think it did more harm than anything to my eating habits. I lost weight while I was on it, but immediately gained it all back plus some when I went back to eating not-Whole30. It also gets you into a weird food-guilt mindset which is difficult to manage...Like a weird paleo eating disorder where you constantly second guess every food option until you just give up and eat a whole chocolate cake. Looking back, I suppose a "diet" plan created by a drug addict wasn't the best idea after all. :-) I did learn that my body doesn't like wheat, but overall, I think the experience was more negative than anything.

I've been sorta-mostly-paleo lately, but it's been a struggle. Anytime I eat carbs now, it's like instant weight gain, but I crave carbs like a motherf-er.

I was going regular workouts with a trainer, but I wasn't recovering, and I ended up really sick and super fatigued, like "I don't have the energy to get out of bed and walk to the toilet" fatigued. Recovering from that broke the habit of going and I so haven't been back to the gym in like 9 months. I walk a decent amount every day, but I think I need to put some strength training back. Just not at the intensity level I was doing before.

So something different might be good. I put "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" in my Amazon list, so I'll def pick it up soon and look it over. Thx!
    I burned myself out working out, then got a severe injury not related that put me out for months. Gained weight and my wife suggested the whole 30 with her. She's a super clean eater and if I simply followed her diet I would be 10x more healthy. The Whole 30 Was going great for 16 days and then I got sick for a solid 3-4 days both ends death. No idea what I got but I couldn't look at a whole 30 meal or say the words without wanting to heave. Of course carbs were needed and some pedalyte- works good!

I felt great after the first week into the whole 30 and I gained a pound. Lmao. Weight then started to come off after.

However, the best weight loss I had was that Hell for 3+days living in the bathroom. I was a string bean in no time!- did not last

Feedback Score
    In the last 2 weeks I have made a plan and executed the start. Exercise has began, with mild weights and cardio. Calorie counting and portion control have become a staple. I'm limiting to 1600 calories to trim some BMI, and I am eating a 30/40/30 ratio of lean protein/green veggies/carbs to keep me from being cranky. That was actually the easiest part due to our dietary restrictions for the kids. My cravings are challenging but I find one of the bite size Hershey dark chocolate every few days takes care of that. Thanks for the positive input and encouraging stories. If I wasn't so self conscious, I'd make this thread a progression story but a shirtless selfie isn't something I'm quite up for.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel556 View Post
    If I wasn't so self conscious, I'd make this thread a progression story but a shirtless selfie isn't something I'm quite up for.
    Well, no one wants to post a shirtless selfie at the START of a program. I wouldn't. However, do take photos every week just for yourself at the same time in the same place (so the lighting is the same). I've found that my progress selfies that I took when getting in shape are now my best motivators a couple of years later. They're evidence to me that I can do it because I've done it before. It really is a head game with yourself, and I'll use whatever tool (even if it's my own selfie) to motivate myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast