Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveling overseas with ballistic armour.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Neck wraps and arm sleeves are over the top and are very ill advised in the summertime. That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong with a civilian backpack with a Level 3a insert in it so long as it is legal in whatever jurisdiction OP is traveling. Times are different and international travel is hit or miss depending on the destination. It's a backpack and he's going to look like every other American tourist. It's not like he's walking up to parliament in a plate carrier and full battle rattle.

What is more likely to save you and your family is full situational awareness. Develop a mindset where you are always planning. No matter where I am when I am walking down the side walk I am always looking for points of ingress/egress, cover, concealment, escape routes etc. In an age where just about anyone could clack off a vest or drive a van down a crowded sidewalk awareness is going to be your best friend.
    Very true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Neck wraps and arm sleeves are over the top and are very ill advised in the summertime. That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong with a civilian backpack with a Level 3a insert in it so long as it is legal in whatever jurisdiction OP is traveling. Times are different and international travel is hit or miss depending on the destination. It's a backpack and he's going to look like every other American tourist. It's not like he's walking up to parliament in a plate carrier and full battle rattle.

What is more likely to save you and your family is full situational awareness. Develop a mindset where you are always planning. No matter where I am when I am walking down the side walk I am always looking for points of ingress/egress, cover, concealment, escape routes etc. In an age where just about anyone could clack off a vest or drive a van down a crowded sidewalk awareness is going to be your best friend.
    +1 on the backpack but not the neckguard/long sleeves.

My brother and his wife just came back from the UK in full tourist mode. Although they were worried about safety, nothing bad happened.

Have a safe trip.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Please don't be offended by what I say here. It's really meant in the best intentions.

Thank you for being such a conscientious guardian for the kids. I wish my kids were around such responsible adults.

That said, although it's more reactive and less defensive in nature, I would recommend you shift your focus from armor to medical.

As stated above, the most important component will be vigilance and knowing the precursors to an attack. Have some fun running drills with the kids as group play or create/make use of everyday directions used with them. You are the head of security for this detail with a group of children. They don't need to know or understand that. Work around the client.

ie.
    "spaghetti drill!"
    everyone drops to the floor laying as flat as possible NOT talking or moving with all eyes on you for the next direction

"Everyone THAT WAY!(shouted)"
    you point your finger with a large overexaggerated arm movement and EVERYONE moves quickly in the direction you point to and go through some type of doorway (useful moving from one room or area to another)

"123 eyes on me (shouted)"
    EVERYONE shuts up and everyone looks at you waiting for a direction. after some practice, punish the ones that don't shut up as they will hurt the group

Get some training or just watch Youtube on medical and how to use medical equipment that you can bring.

3x CAT tourniquets, small bandages, gauge, medical tape, safety shears, basic first aid will cover you for most things. about 1/3-1/2 of a standard backpack will cover you fine for a group under 30

PM me for recs if you want specifics tailored to your group and needs.

Armor doesn't do you much good unless you will actually meet and make contact with the enemy. In the UK, I assume you'll be unarmed while they will have bombs, guns, knives. Unless your plan involves running out to take them down yourself, your best plan might be to find the most efficient evac route and get the kids out and away BEFORE bad things happen.

Vigilance, having an exit route at all times (2 actually), having your group know your commands and be willing to follow them at all times, and basic medical is worth more in terms of time, effort, bulk, and weight over any armor IMO. A backpack with IIIa insert isn't much of a hindrance so if you have it, great.

Thank you for being a guardian of the kids entrusted to you. We need more responsible adults that want to do more than socialize and drink instead of watching kids (that includes high schoolers)
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 07-22-17 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    Great advice. Yes, I have the medical kit ready, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123