Thread: Ruger 10/22 Mag question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger 10/22 Mag question

Alright, so for the past few years I've shot very little .22lr, but with prices coming down from atmo, or me just getting used to paying more for ammo, and doing some basic firearms instruction with a few new shooters, the 10/22 has gotten pulled forward in my gunsafe. Now, historically I have used ether the factory 10 round mags, which never gave me an issue, and the 25 round Buttler Creek steel lips mags, which gave precious few issues. Now, Ruger has their own 25rd mags that run about $20 a piece but I never bought any since .22lr was close to what 9mm was until the past year, and I just got an email from CDNN that they have Butler Creek clear steel lips mags for sub $8 a piece. Now my first thought was to go grab a dozen of the butler creek mags, because holy shit that is cheap, but then I have the question of the Ruger mags.

Basically I am hoping to get a little more info on how much better the Ruger factory BX25 mags are over the Butler creek steel lip mags. The hot lips ones I have had, they are pretty much junk, but again I've had few issues with the steel lips, but if something is better I am not adverse to stocking up on them.

So, thoughts gentlemen, and I do use the term loosely?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Tried the Lips, nothing but failure, bought the Ruger BX25's, flawless... case closed for me..nothing but Ruger, I have 4 of them
    Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    Molon Labe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave From Montgomery View Post
    Tried the Lips, nothing but failure, bought the Ruger BX25's, flawless... case closed for me..nothing but Ruger, I have 4 of them
    Which lip mags though? I've used the hot lip ones. After a short period you have a piece of junk that might, MIGHT, hold rounds. I've got 8 or 10 steel lip mags which have worked in at least 4 10/22s. The only issue was with one that was well used and dirty, where the follower would not travel right, sprayed with piss out of it with Rem oil and on it has gone. The others I've had few issues with that I haven't had with other mags.

I will say that my understanding is that the BX mags can be disassembled, which the tinkerer in me does find interesting.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The BX 25s are very good but then I've never used the Butler Creek 10/22 mags. Might be worth it to buy a couple of the cheap mags and some of the Ruger mags. I suspect the Butler Creel mags are on sale because people are buying the BX25 instead.

BTW If you decide to disassemble the Ruger mags make sure you don't over tighten them when you reassemble them. They tend to bind up sometimes when too tight. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-07-17 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    The BX 25s are very good but then I've never used the Butler Creek 10/22 mags. Might be worth it to buy a couple of the cheap mags and some of the Ruger mags. I suspect the Butler Creel mags are on sale because people are buying the BX25 instead.

BTW If you decide to disassemble the Ruger mags make sure you don't over tighten them when you reassemble them. They tend to bind up sometimes when too tight. Ask me how I know.
    I will be the first to state that I kind of figured that the Ruger mags made a rather significant indentation in the steel lip mag business. I mean, after the BX25 mags hit the market the hot lip mags were being run in clearance silly cheap. I know a few who bought them by the dozens to resell during panics. So, with the proliferation of the BX mags, it would make sense, that the steel lip market shares would shrink. But, then again, I don't always trust the market to affect things positively, and I've seen more than a few buy Ruger because of the name and nothing else, hence the question. Not saying the Ruger product was bad, but, I don't think they are end all be all either, at least on GP. Generally solid products, but if I am going to start spending more than what I ever did on the steel lip mags I want to know I am not going to be walking into issues.

Do you have any rough inch pound figures on how tight the BX mags need to be? Any particular tricks regarding reassembly that you can share, if there are any.

Feedback Score
    You can find the Ruger BX on sale in 2pks for 30-33 if you shop a little, got mine at a Cabellas sale
    Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    Molon Labe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I will be the first to state that I kind of figured that the Ruger mags made a rather significant indentation in the steel lip mag business. I mean, after the BX25 mags hit the market the hot lip mags were being run in clearance silly cheap. I know a few who bought them by the dozens to resell during panics. So, with the proliferation of the BX mags, it would make sense, that the steel lip market shares would shrink. But, then again, I don't always trust the market to affect things positively, and I've seen more than a few buy Ruger because of the name and nothing else, hence the question. Not saying the Ruger product was bad, but, I don't think they are end all be all either, at least on GP. Generally solid products, but if I am going to start spending more than what I ever did on the steel lip mags I want to know I am not going to be walking into issues.

Do you have any rough inch pound figures on how tight the BX mags need to be? Any particular tricks regarding reassembly that you can share, if there are any.
    No, I just got heavy with a wrench and when I backed off the problem seemed to go away. It could have just been my samples.

Even if you buy the BX25 mags and they don't work for you, they still have value and you could easily sell them. If you buy the Butler Creek mags you might have a hell of a time getting rid of them.

I personally would rather buy quality mags because I believe in the "buy once cry once" idea. I got burned quite a few times until I learned that lesson. Now, I just try to buy quality while getting the best deal possible.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have had most every example of 25rd 10/22 mags over the past 30+ years and the Ruger BX25 mags are the best by far due to fit, finish, reliability, and disassembly. I still have some Hot Lips and Butler Creek that work well enough for plinking but in my experience their lifespan is limited. Mostly due to cracks along the angular glued spine. They also seem to misfeed with various ammo more often than Ruger mags. The all plastic ones start wearing the rear pin as well.

The price difference is negligible for high quality OEM mags in my mind even for a cheap 10/22.

That said my 10/22 runs far better than my expensive TacSol upper and Black Dog mags.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It all depends on your usage. I am only now getting back into 22 same as everyone else. My opinion is that if you are going to shoot your 10/22 every range day multiple times a year go with the Ruger mags. If you are going to pull it out once a year for a big day and want lots of loaded mags given they are such a PIA to load then pickup a load of sale hot lips mags.

With 22 ammo now on the comeback, if I saw steel Hot Lips mags on sale for $8 I'd buy 8 just on pure principle. However, if I saw Ruger 50rd mags at any price (they don't make them) I'd buy a few of those too!

I shoot mostly quality Federal and Eley ammo nowadays and of course they still jam very occasionally. I have some old Winchester and Remington bulk 22 that jams a lot more. 22 is 22 :-)

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-08-17 at 02:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GunMag Warehouse got the Ruger BX 25 rounders on sale $15.99. got a few other ones too on sale.
    THEY WORK, PERIOD.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.