Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update post 32* What do you make of this group?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Update post 32* What do you make of this group?

I've plateaued as far as groups at 25yds and think it may be the gun, so I purchased a new one, and was doing side by side groups between them. This is my original pistol. I keep getting erratic groups and am trying to determine if the gun is keyholing. This was 10 shots. Do you see 6 holes or 10? The difference in holes and shape (flat spots) has me wondering.

Last edited by MegademiC; 07-23-17 at 13:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    uh i see 6 holes. 25 yards is pretty dang far for a pistol though isn't it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob2525 View Post
    Nope.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    ..... 25 yards is pretty dang far for a pistol though isn't it?
    Hopefully it is true for your adversary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i mean i'm just happy to be on paper at that distance nevermind thinking about groups...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What ammo are you using?

Generally if you reach behined the target and kind of smooth it back you'll see the 'abrasion' from the round. You see that on the three in the buff. Two of the three in the center look like tears from either a keyhole, a ricochet, or debris.

Are you trying a 100,000 round torture test? Bore dirty/leaded up or ammo could cause this. We received a lot of ammo several years ago that was keyholing, what didn't keyhole was all over the place. They replaced it and we were told the bullets had voids in them. That's all I know, I was not the one who interacted with the mfgr.

Feedback Score
    No torture test. I lightly clean the barrel each outing with Moro 7, I'm around 1000 rounds through this barrel.
    The rest of the gun was clean, not the first time I've seen this from this barrel.

Also odd, seems the rounds drift right as it warms. The new gun stayed consistent throughout the day.
    I've been shooting this barrel for a while , but just starting to group it and noticing weird stuff. I'm trying to determine if it's me or the gun.

All groups I've shot are offhand.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-09-17 at 01:19.

Feedback Score
    It's all relative. Shooting 1"groups, yes, but I'm trying to stay in the 90s on a b-8 target.

Spend some time at 50 and 25 doesn't seem so bad.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-09-17 at 01:20.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Also odd, seems the rounds drift right as it warms. The new gun stayed consistent throughout the day.
    I've been shooting this barrel for a while , but just starting to group it and noticing weird stuff. I'm trying to determine if it's me or the gun.

Are you left or right hand dominant?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Make sure you have a completely solid target backer ... as to me, those larger & less round holes are more indicative of a poor backer than the ammo. Anytime I've observed keyholing it was evident on every shot at distance.

Maybe this barrel doesn't like that ammo. I'd also add you may be thumbing the arm or tightening your grip as you fire, which pushes the group to the right.

Also keep all your focus on the front sight - don't drift your focus back & forth from front sight to target. And keep focus ALL the way through the shot. Learn to "call each shot" ... best way to learn! With this method, a shot outside the group, but with a correct call ... is better than a shot in the group that you thought you pulled or threw out.

The best shot, of course, is one called correctly that is right in the group. Keep at it and please report back if anything works for you! Cheers,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast