Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Patrol Rifle

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Simple Patrol Rifle

Hi all,

I set out to piece together a simple patrol rifle, one that is lightweight, well balanced, and high quality. My previous rifle was a BCM 14.5" Middy with a DDRISII rail and a heavy Vortex Viper PST 1-4 or a Trijicon TA33. It did not balance well, was overly heavy, and felt awkward to carry for extended periods of time.

My rifle:
    Colt LE 6920 OEM 1 from G&R Tactical
    Magpul Carbine MOE Handguards with Impact Weapons Components Sling Mount drilled into side
    Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip
    B5 Bravo Stock
    BAD ASS Short Throw Ambi Safety Selector
    Aimpoint H1 on DD Mount
    Scalarworks OPS Rear Sight
    Surefire M300 Mini Scout in an Impact Weapons Components SMC Scout Mount
    BFG Vickers 2 Point Sling
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle

Not all pieces to this puzzle have arrived, but all have been ordered. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts:

Colt LE6920 OEM1
    This is the gold standard, and should be first and foremost in everyone's minds when buying a hard-use AR. I carried a Colt M16 in the Marine Corps, and a Colt 1911 on duty before switching to Glock. OEM was because I planned to switch most of the furniture out regardless.

MOE HG and IWC Sling Mount
    This deal from IWC is rock solid, and the MOE HG provides what I need in a light and cheap package. http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...h-sling-mount/

MOE+ Grip
    I love the feel of this grip, it's by far my favorite, and I've owned many: (BCM Gunfighter, MOE, A2, Ergo)

B5 Bravo Stock
    I love this stock. It's rock solid, no wobble, and provides a good cheek weld. I prefer it to any of the Magpul offerings.

H1 on DD Mount
    Bought this on the EE for a great price. Aimpoint has always been my go to, I own numerous H1's and T1's already. The DD Mount was with the package deal, or I would have bough a Scalarworks mount.

Scalarworks Rear Sight
    No real reviews to go off of. These were, in part, designed by LAV and that drew my interest greatly. They are also very light.

M300 on IWC Light Mount
    The M300 is a great little weapon light with ALOT of light output. The IWC SMC mount is about the only mount that makes sense on the MOE Handguards.

Vickers 2 Point Sling
    Obviously. It's become the gold standard of slings. I own many.

BCM Gunfighter CH
    Works very well, I have also owned many of these. High quality piece.

Sorry, cell phone pics on bathroom floor:

Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 07-31-17 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    Sounds, like a nice rifle. I prefer 6720 for a patrol rifle.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Sounds, like a nice rifle. I prefer 6720 for a patrol rifle.
    Honestly, had there been a 6720 OEM package I would have bought that instead.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Gonna be a nice rifle...I think you'll be happy with it!

I have a substantially similar setup that has been awesome. Light and handy!

The MOE+IWC Flush Socket has been fantastic, and I also use the IWC SMC, but with a G2 running a Malkoff M61. Like you said, that set of parts is perfect for the MOE.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That sounds like a very nice rifle and will serve you well. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like a great set up. I have a couple of buddies who went with the Colt OEM. They are very happy.

Curious why you didn't just change the heavy rail on the BCM you had to something lighter.

Feedback Score
    That is a battle rifle, amigo. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some pics would be nice to kind of keep in the spirit of most all the other posts here.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Some pics would be nice to kind of keep in the spirit of most all the other posts here.
    Ditto. Also, funny how everyone seems to think the stuff they chose is the "gold standard" and there is nothing better!

Feedback Score
    Sounds like it's gonna be a good one! Looking forward to the pictures.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast