Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Engineering Question

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)

Automotive Engineering Question

I have a longstanding bet with a close friend.
    Which is going to come first from a manufacturer: a vehicle capable of 0-60 in less than 2.0 seconds or a vehicle capable of 300+ mph?

There are some stipulations in our bet however. The vehicle must be "road legal", able to be registered through the DMV, has to achieve these numbers with all factory equipment and tuning, and not a single unit i.e. it has to be a vehicle intended to be commercially available to the public even if in a limited number.

I realize both of these numbers are achieved daily at drag strips and motoring events all over the world. But neither of these figures have even been close to achieved by a "regular" road going car.

Which do you think is more likely?

I realize that approaching either of these figures is a massive engineering feat and the physics of either is insane. I think that the marketing for 300 mph or 500 kph (310mph) would be more mouth watering and impressive as a headline for a manufacturer. It's probably far more difficult to achieve. The 0-60 in under 2.0 is probably less difficult for a road car but probably wouldn't wow the average non car guy.

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Has anyone ever tried gravy in a camelbak?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think you have to define a timeline and what exactly "regular" means. A Bugatti Chiron is $2.7-2.9 million dollars. You can register it, but the sales tax alone is $234,333 which is far from regular.

Being that the Porsche 918 and Chiron and both in the mid to low 2s for 0-60, I'd think that is much closer to being a reality in the near future. There's even a Tesla that's close.

On the Chiron, the theoretical top speed is said to be around 280-290mph. It comes electronically limited to around 260 mph for safety reason, which I suspect is related to the integrity of the tires more than the engineering of the chassis, braking or engine systems.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    0-60 in 2s will come first, IMHO. You can use that everyday getting on a freeway on ramp. 300 mph top speed? Can't do that but for a few places. IMHO 0-60 is just a (simplified) matter of power-weight ratio and traction. Put enough horsepower in a light car with the right tires and maybe AWD. 300 mph needs a lot more engineering than that due to aerodynamics/drag/stability and a host of other factors.

Feedback Score
    Well the Dodge Demon is already at 2.3 seconds 0-60.

Won't take much more to hit the 2 mark.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Well the Dodge Demon is already at 2.3 seconds 0-60.

Won't take much more to hit the 2 mark.

That 0-60 is tested on a drag strip with VHT all over the starting line, and the car on a drag radial. My heavily modified TA will do 0-60 in under 2 seconds at the track... on the street, even with the same tire I spin and spin for days.

The problem with getting to that sub 2 second mark will always be the tire and surface the tire is on.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Where did here about VHT?
    First I have heard.

It use a very nice traction control to limit spin, will even lift the front tires on the ground.

And it comes with those drag radials.

Will do 2.1 will rollout, 2.3 without.

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Where did here about VHT?
    First I have heard.

It use a very nice traction control to limit spin, will even lift the front tires on the ground.

And it comes with those drag radials.

Will do 2.1 will rollout, 2.3 without.

The promotional video was shot at Englishtown Raceway Park. I live less than 5 miles away. I have been racing at E-Town since 2001. My permanent race number there is 8040 lol I know the track. If you wantch the promotional video, at the 2:15 mark you can see the car launch and you can see the VHT pealing off the tire. My car was featured in GM High Tech Magazine back in the day and the shooting day was at E-Town as well. They prep the **** out of the track for those types of events because they want good results to keep the magazines coming back. I prefer Atco Raceway because the family that owns it is nicer and the track is always prepped, even for a regular Thursday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vD6A6NxySQ

Try that launch on the street and see how far that gets you. No one races with Traction Control on. No one. You use your suspension to transfer weight and help the tire do it's job. Hypercars use crazy TC systems, the Demon did it with a sticky tire, on a sticky track. The Demon is impressive, hell, I want one, but it will never leave that hard on the street.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    The only way anyone is getting under a 2 second 0-60, is with AWD, some sort of anti lag (builds boost at a stop, by retarding timing and adding fuel) and some sort of launch control. Think of having your car sitting at 7k rpms, 30+ lbs of boost on a large turbo, and "pretty much" dumping the clutch. With drag radials and a great driver. On the street we are talking about. If you do hook up, hopefully the rest of the car can support the power. I know as I have stripped the teeth completely out of the clutch disc from the output shaft on the transmission. And also sheared gears completely off in the trans. Had to move to straight cut gears in a dog box trans to solve the problem.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd say the 0-60 mph in two or under is closer than a 300 mph capable turn key car. As much as it pains me to say it, it could very well be an electric car that does it. The newest Tesla does it somewhere near 2.29 I think. It's all wheel drive I believe, and with a little more work (and some weight savings considering it's nearly 5k lbs) I'd be willing to bet a flat 2.0 second 0-60 is possible.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think we will hit the sub 2 second 0-60 first. Cars are getting close already. A lot of things go into high top speeds and aerodynamics plays a huge role.

I remember reading something from Bugatti about the Veyron. They said it only took around 200 horsepower to get that car to 150 MPH but it took the other 800 horsepower to get it to 260. Im sure my numbers are off a bit as Im going off of memory but it is close to that.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast