Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automotive Engineering Question

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    0-60 in 2 Secs.

Top speed is currently tire limited, not power.
    Bugatti test driver agrees

http://jalopnik.com/why-the-bugatti-...mph-1796418643

Current tire tech is a major barrier holding back top speed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    sub 2 is been there done that. Just not in a production car. Easily done if they want to productize it.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/fastest...-60-mph-times/
    The F1 is on a race slick, not a street tire. The others are either done on a track or theoretical calculations. Have you ever walked on a starting line of a drag strip? If your shoe isn't tied on well it will come off. What I am saying is all these test numbers are nearly impossible to recreate on the street. Obviosly a ton of cars can get sub 2s 0-60 times at a drag strip.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I think we will hit the sub 2 second 0-60 first. Cars are getting close already. A lot of things go into high top speeds and aerodynamics plays a huge role.

I remember reading something from Bugatti about the Veyron. They said it only took around 200 horsepower to get that car to 150 MPH but it took the other 800 horsepower to get it to 260. Im sure my numbers are off a bit as Im going off of memory but it is close to that.
    In aircraft a general rule of thumb for at least the planes I fly is you need four units of thrust to overcome one unit of drag. I'm sure it's different for cars, but when you get to those kind of speeds drag really increases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    The F1 is on a race slick, not a street tire. The others are either done on a track or theoretical calculations. Have you ever walked on a starting line of a drag strip? If your shoe isn't tied on well it will come off. What I am saying is all these test numbers are nearly impossible to recreate on the street. Obviosly a ton of cars can get sub 2s 0-60 times at a drag strip.
    OP did not specify on-ramp to Interstate, only that it had to be ""regular" road going car"

I grew up at Raceway Park.

Feedback Score
    25+ years ago, my tube frame B1 Dart ran 8.8's uncorked, but I ran in the 9.900 index. On concrete it's easier to accel than asphalt. Uncorked, my speeds were under 175ish.
    I would think that acceleration gains are an easier grab than the 300 mph top speed figures.

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    OP did not specify on-ramp to Interstate, only that it had to be ""regular" road going car"

I grew up at Raceway Park.
    True. I did not specify.

The nature of our bet is that, given an adequate driver, the car could perform either feat without any additional assistance from outside factors. Meaning of course it's not going to hook up at 34 degrees on cold tires, but on an ideal weather day, you could pull up next to whatever supercar of your choice at a red light and pull off a sub 2 second 0-60 time.

Also that given the right traffic conditions and an adequate road surface that the vehicle would be capable of 300 mph with a neutral head/tailwind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoe82 View Post
    True. I did not specify.

The nature of our bet is that, given an adequate driver, the car could perform either feat without any additional assistance from outside factors. Meaning of course it's not going to hook up at 34 degrees on cold tires, but on an ideal weather day, you could pull up next to whatever supercar of your choice at a red light and pull off a sub 2 second 0-60 time.

Also that given the right traffic conditions and an adequate road surface that the vehicle would be capable of 300 mph with a neutral head/tailwind.
    If locations doesn't matter then I'm sure the time has already been beaten. If not my a manufacturer than by an owner of one of the many Hypercars out now. Plus, the driver is of little consequence in one of those cars when the timing is for straight line acceleration. The launch control on most Hypercars will up shift for you. Just push a couple buttons, hit the right paddle for first gear, hold the throttle and release the brake. Do it on a sticky enough surface and I'm sure a LaFerrari, Porche 918 or McLaren P1 can go sub 2.0 0-60. Bring them to the track on a December day when the DA is -2500. Done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoe82 View Post
    I have a longstanding bet with a close friend.
    Which is going to come first from a manufacturer: a vehicle capable of 0-60 in less than 2.0 seconds or a vehicle capable of 300+ mph?

There are some stipulations in our bet however. The vehicle must be "road legal", able to be registered through the DMV, has to achieve these numbers with all factory equipment and tuning, and not a single unit i.e. it has to be a vehicle intended to be commercially available to the public even if in a limited number.

I realize both of these numbers are achieved daily at drag strips and motoring events all over the world. But neither of these figures have even been close to achieved by a "regular" road going car.

Which do you think is more likely?

I realize that approaching either of these figures is a massive engineering feat and the physics of either is insane. I think that the marketing for 300 mph or 500 kph (310mph) would be more mouth watering and impressive as a headline for a manufacturer. It's probably far more difficult to achieve. The 0-60 in under 2.0 is probably less difficult for a road car but probably wouldn't wow the average non car guy.

What do you guys think?
    Sorry for the necropost, but Elon Musk did it. First production car with a sub 2 second 0-60 time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tesla-unv...083420557.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Sorry for the necropost, but Elon Musk did it. First production car with a sub 2 second 0-60 time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tesla-unv...083420557.html
    Nice looking car. I know a few people at work who are probably already in line to buy one. One of them is already on his second model S

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123