Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seecamp .380 for shorts weather?

Feedback Score

Seecamp .380 for shorts weather?

I know, it's a mouse gun. But a mouse gun in your shorts pocket is better than the compact 9mm or J-frame left at home when it's 100+ degrees outside. I do not dress around the gun. I did that for 25 years as a LEO. I'm done with that...It's too &*^% hot in my AO for "me" IWB right now.

Back in my LEO days, a patrol partner carried a .32 Seecamp back in the day as a BUG. He loved it.

I've got a Ruger LCP II, but the finish is prone to rust, and the trigger is light for a pocket gun. Yes, it's kept in a pocket holster, but it's still lighter than what I like for a pocket BUG. The light trigger pull of the Glock rules that one out for me. I'm looking for reliability as criteria #1, and SMALL size AND LIGHT WEIGHT as criteria #2. I love my J-frame, but sometimes, even it prints too much in shorts.

The Seecamp is considerably smaller than the Ruger or the Glock .380 options. It's reliable, but expensive. It also has a nice FIRM trigger pull which is something I want for a pocked BUG. Anyone have any experience??? Worst case, I'll just live with the LCP II as between that and my j-frame, I can make those work 90% this time of year.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    A shitty gun beats no gun, but I can hide a shield in board shorts and a wife-beater/a shirt. What are you guys wearing that a g43 or cm9 or shield cannot be hidden with? Are you talking shirtless carry?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-14-17 at 05:06.

Feedback Score

Seecamp .380 for shorts weather?

Simple. Most The shorts I wear out and about are not compatible with belts, so there goes IWB.

Two words... Pocket carry. Again, I don't dress around the gun. At least for me and my frame size, the shield is too big and heavy to comfortably be pocket carried.
    Not to mention I'm not comfortable carrying a striker in the pocket. Even in a holster.

If we haven't guessed by now, I'm talking pocket carry only. If I want to dress like Colombo in the middle of August, I have plenty of options.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had the chance to play around w/ a few Seecamps and found their engineering and quality is outstanding. But I've not kept abreast of 32ACP carry loads, like a good CorBon loading.

Personally I use the S&W 380 Bodyguard w/ laser in that role. I like the idea on the built-in laser.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about the Ruger in a pocket holster?

Maybe the Beretta Tomcat 32?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Might be worth looking at the Khar P380. I had one that I would carry in the hot AZ summers when something larger was not possible It is maybe slightly shorter than the LCP, but it has a long trigger pull similar to a J frame. I never had a problem with mine and only sold it since i moved up north where the summers are not 115 degrees. I had a Tomcat and it broke the firing pin in the first 30 rounds and then the frame cracked around 150 rounds.
    Last edited by Jermedic; 07-13-17 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Personally, I would get a Dark Star Gear holster: http://darkstargear.com/product/jframe/

And hunt down a used Scandium J-frame revolver. I use a Smith and Wesson 342 for that chore.

You have 5 rounds of 39 Special, which I would definitely prefer over a .32 or a .380. The entire thing loaded with the holster is probably less weight than the Seecamp 380, and probably the same cost. But much better resale value of you decide to ditch it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Personally, I would get a Dark Star Gear holster: http://darkstargear.com/product/jframe/

And hunt down a used Scandium J-frame revolver. I use a Smith and Wesson 342 for that chore.

You have 5 rounds of 39 Special, which I would definitely prefer over a .32 or a .380. The entire thing loaded with the holster is probably less weight than the Seecamp 380, and probably the same cost. But much better resale value of you decide to ditch it.
    Same clip on a ctac holster works for a shield . I forget the brand but my friend carries a shield in gym shorts daily, including his daily 3 mile run.

I don't have any advice on the seecamp or 32, so I'm out after this, but i can almost guarantee you can hide a shield. Like I said, I don't dress around the gun either. Outside of an under armor compression shirt, it's all about holster. Not the most comfortable, but it can be done. Life is full of compromise, but I'm not talking about dressing like columbo, and that was stated in my OP. Good luck in your search.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Ruger lcp1 that I had the slide, barrel, and recoil rod plated. Works great, I can sweat on it all day and no rust.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You have 5 rounds of 39 Special, which I would definitely prefer over a .32 or a .380.
    Someone here once posted a link to FBI caliber/stoppage statistics and the 380 w/ a modern loading actually outperformed the 38 Special.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast