Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20 inch AR group size too large??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's really not that bad of shooting. Especially with irons and M855. I stopped buying M855 because I found M193 to be a little cheaper and noticeably more accurate.

Also we all have days where we shoot good and days where we don't. I'd give that upper a few more range sessions before I made any sort of opinion on it's accuracy.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Looks like a nice grouping to me, and minute of bad guys chest for sure. Makes me want to dust my A2 off and shoot it at distance as it's been awhile. Thanks for the refreshing post and I would be happy with it!

Feedback Score
    Looks like a good group to me. Nothing reeks of mechanical defect or limitation. Keep shooting it and the groups will close up even more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For what you have those groups are good to go. For giggles have someone else shot it who is better than you and that will be your baseline. If you want to see the groups improve put a float tube on it.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    I'm with the others that nothing screams hardware issue. I'm a little surprised that Windham took it back. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be. One of my LEO friends works at a gun shop/range part time. We were talking ARs one day and be mentioned that if he were to buy another, it'd absolutely be a WW. They're priced right, and those he's seen in the shop are well built. But, the big thing for him was their CS. He said, "You could literally buy one, walk out the door, tie it to the back of your car, drag it home, tell WW that you did all of that, and they'd still repair/replace the rifle. Probably an exaggeration, but he clearly had confidence in their commitment to their customers.

I'll be interested to see what they end up doing with it.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    I have several WW carbines and all have been GTG. Based on my emails and pics, I left the decision of returning it entirely to them as I didn't want to waste their time with a potential non-issue.

Just to keep others informed, the head gunsmith at Windham Weaponry asked to have the upper returned at their expense so that he can examine it and probably replace the barrel. He has stated all along that the groups should be smaller that what I was able to achieve. They received it yesterday...
    Last edited by Chef BRD; 07-21-17 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef BRD View Post
    I have several WW carbines and all have been GTG. Based on my emails and pics, I left the decision of returning it entirely to them as I didn't want to waste their time with a potential non-issue.

Just to keep others informed, the head gunsmith at Windham Weaponry asked to have the upper returned at their expense so that he can examine it and probably replace the barrel. He has stated all along that the groups should be smaller that what I was able to achieve. They received it yesterday...
    That may be even more admirable that WW was the one to insist on the return. I've seen recent examples of some other mfgs trying to deny returns for things that seemed like a bigger issue than what you've experienced. And, when they finally gave in, the customer had to foot the bill for the return shipping. Glad to see WW is one of the places doing things right.

I'll look forward to your update after they've inspected and made a decision on the course of action.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Find a crusty old bastard who has experience shooting High Power. Ask them to fire some groups with your rifle and ammunition at 100 yards from the prone position. If they can shoot 3" or better, there is nothing wrong with the rifle.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    These are from a Windham “20 inch Gov’t. Rifle” with a LaRue MBT and no optics.

Do I have a lemon? Shouldn't my groups be smaller? I'm waiting to hear back from WW...
    You're kidding right? No lemons here. Just lemonade.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply...

Yes, with as issued iron sights and my 61 y.o. eyes.
    Perhaps, I'm expecting too much.
    I would also consider putting in a better trigger. I put a Triggertech trigger in my Colt A4 rifle and the groups at 100 yds. with a 2x10 Vortex scope giving me groups sub MOA. I am also shooting PMC 55gr rounds...I have found that PMC shoots real well out of all of my Colts...
    "As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast