Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 20 inch AR group size too large??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by renov8 View Post
    I would also consider putting in a better trigger. I put a Triggertech trigger in my Colt A4 rifle and the groups at 100 yds. with a 2x10 Vortex scope giving me groups sub MOA. I am also shooting PMC 55gr rounds...I have found that PMC shoots real well out of all of my Colts...

I'm pretty happy with the LaRue MBT...it's a fine trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef BRD View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the LaRue MBT...it's a fine trigger.
    Its a good trigger too. Lots of good triggers out in the market place.
    "As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I received the upper back from WW this afternoon and they wound up replacing the barrel.
    My experience with WW from start to finish was nothing less than excellent.
    Thanks to all here who provided assistance...

Here are the results of the 3-shot groups on the test targets (shot by WW at 25 yards) that accompanied the upper:

Open Sights
    - Hornady 75 grain 0.336"
    - Federal Premium 69 grain 0.518" (one flier)

Scope
    - Hornady 75 grain 0.360"
    - Hornady 75 grain 0.296"
    - Federal Premium 69 grain 0.325"
    Last edited by Chef BRD; 08-06-17 at 07:32.

Feedback Score
    Great to hear how well they took care of the customer. Did they actually confirm something was wrong with the barrel that warranted the replacement?

Either way, this is right in line with the praises others have sung when dealing with WW. They're definitely on my list of gtg companies who are worth doing business with.

I will say that your groups with the new barrel aren't exactly easy to draw conclusions from against the previously shared groups with the "defective" barrel. The original groups were shot at 50 yards and look to be at least 5 shot groups, with one looking more like a 15-20 shot group.

These new results were 3 shot groups at 25 yards. Not to mention, the ammo selected for the above groups is arguably better than used with the original groups; when shooting for groups/accuracy.

It's not to say that the mechanical accuracy of the rifle hasn't improved with the new barrel. Just that no conclusions can really be drawn comparing "then vs now". Shoot again at 50 yards, with the originally selected ammo, and in strings of 5-10 rounds; and then we'd be better equipped to start drawing conclusions in regards to the impact of the new barrel.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    The groups are considerably better than the initial 25 yard groups I achieved when the rifle was new. I agree that a three shot group at 25 yards isn't ideal but I think that WW went above and beyond to try to please me as a customer. We can extrapolate the 50 yard group size from the data they provided but it doesn't mean much until I get behind the wheel.

I don't know what issues there may have been with the original barrel.

Not all of the 50 yard groups from the original barrel are depicted here but, they were forwarded to the folks at WW and they used that info to determine that something was amiss with the barrel. The best group is shown on page 2 of this thread. The "match grade" ammo I used was Fiocchi Exacta .223 Rem 77 gr Sierra MatchKing OTM, Fiocchi Exacta .223 Rem 69 gr Sierra MatchKing OTM and PMC X-Tac Match .223 Rem 77 gr Sierra MatchKing OTM and have had good results from this selection in the past. Speer Gold Dot usually prints very well also.

I'm going to try and get out with it this weekend.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Whoops. I overlooked the fact that the groups for the new barrel were not your own. Looking forward to that report.

And, again, I have to agree their service was quite impressive.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Update with the new barrel:

After a quick RIBZ 50 yard sighting in using IMI M855 (center hold), I hung a few paper plates at 100 yards and here's the result with Fiocchi Exacta 69 gr. (6/300 -6). Five shots were fired at the plate below and I pulled the last one low

The aiming point for the match ammo was 6 o'clock from a bench on sandbags.
    I wish that I had more time to spend with it, perhaps during Labor Day weekend.

I need to invest in a scope though...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234