Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys enlighten me why this Colt AR was so desirable??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Can you guys enlighten me why this Colt AR was so desirable??

I have (and am) working on several consignment items & the AR market is really-really soft...just curious as to why this particular guy went for so much. I can only assume this factory camo model was a low run?? Was expecting 1/2 of what it went for.
    I'll pick the buyers brain when he gets in touch, but thought you guys would appreciate regardless.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/662869919
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Colt AR-15 A2 Govt Model Early Serial Number .223

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think the s/n matches to any pre-bans?? My bluebook isn't recent & didn't see a camo as well.

I actually thought the camo was aftermarket till the 'Z' on the magwell was pointed out to me...again, 'assuming' this to be the rarity factor. Of course the early s/n does play a roll on most desirable weapons regardless.

EDIT...totally missed it in my research. Early GS serial numbers are indeed pre-ban & the z-cote is rare.
    Last edited by Artos; 07-13-17 at 21:54.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."

Feedback Score
    The Z cote guns are the rarest guns to come out of colt ever. My dad and I had the complete set, the A2 the carbine and the 1911. The carbine came in a black case with the 1911, it had a special pocket for the 1911. The pistol was called the camo companion. If my memory serves me correctly there were 125 carbines and pistols and 250 rifles. if you just sold that for $1630 you ****ED UP BIG TIME, that rifle is worth about 3 times that. You only see those pop up every couple of years. We sold our set because my dad has some health issues, it was the rarest we had. We've had model 12 pigeon grades, colt snake eyes, original delta elite hbar's, some nice stuff but the Z cote collection was the rarest.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From what I'm seeing now, it should have brought more but I admittedly did my seller a dis-service & missed it on my initial research...now I had the 'Z' mentioned, however I 'think' if I had mentioned the model (R6550CC) I could have gotten him more. Don't get me wrong, he paid next to nothing & was the one to suggest the opening bid & tickled with the final price. If he's happy so am I, just sticks in my craw to have an oversight.

My area is more along the lines of older & collectable pre-64's & colt double action revolvers, P&R Smiths, etc...honestly never would have guessed I had hens teeth with this guy. Ignorance is curable...stupid is forever.

Feedback Score
    If I had known that was up on gunbroker I would've bought for that without hesitation. I do enjoy pre 64 model 70 winchesters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Whoa. Cool. Never heard of this rifle.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Don't despair, in my youth and stupidity, I traded a pre 64 model 70 for an 870 and a duffel bag of ammo. If only we had time machines.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    The Z cote guns are the rarest guns to come out of colt ever. My dad and I had the complete set, the A2 the carbine and the 1911. The carbine came in a black case with the 1911, it had a special pocket for the 1911. The pistol was called the camo companion. If my memory serves me correctly there were 125 carbines and pistols and 250 rifles. if you just sold that for $1630 you ****ED UP BIG TIME, that rifle is worth about 3 times that. You only see those pop up every couple of years. We sold our set because my dad has some health issues, it was the rarest we had. We've had model 12 pigeon grades, colt snake eyes, original delta elite hbar's, some nice stuff but the Z cote collection was the rarest.
    I remember when these were new - early 1990s ? My buddy worked at a LGS. He had the Zcote 1911 at the time (still has it) and was kicking himself over not picking up the matching CAR-15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Its not NIB. Its not collectible.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast