Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ive been piecing together a build for a couple weeks now and need to finish it off

Feedback Score

Ive been piecing together a build for a couple weeks now and need to finish it off

Ok So Ive been waiting to build a short "carbine"/pistol for a while now. I have a 6920 and Ive always wants something shorter. I will probably be doing two different uppers fro this lower, one on 556 and one on 300 BLK. I want the 300 BLK for HD and the fact that I can go with a 8 inch barrel but 300 BLK is too expensive to just shoot for me and exotically right now. So I also want a 556 upper for SD if I dont have any 300 BLK on hand and for range blasting. Its going to likely be fed a steady diet of steel case wolf or whatever I can find for cheap. Ive been trying to keep the price reasonable in the budget category but as long as its under a G its fine. So as this could be used for HD and as a general GTFO gun maybe its gotta be reliable.

The lower is basically done and the parts are on the way. Aero, SOLGW LPK, SBA3, H2 buffer and a springco blue. The plan for the trigger is a larue MBT1S..all told Im a hair over 350 into the lower and it should be GTG right?

The upper is another story I can piece one together for around 500 or so. I got a toolcraft BCG and a couple BCM blem uppers on the way. I was going to round out the upper likely with a BA 10.3 barrel and an aero or larue handguard. Now this would be fine but is it really duty grade? Can someone actuality build a duty grade upper?

If I wanted something truly duty grade where would I look? BCM, Sionics, SOLGW right? Anywhere else? What if I wanted to keep the price under 700 bucks with a BCG? Possible?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Ok So Ive been waiting to build a short "carbine"/pistol for a while now. I have a 6920 and Ive always wants something shorter. I will probably be doing two different uppers fro this lower, one on 556 and one on 300 BLK. I want the 300 BLK for HD and the fact that I can go with a 8 inch barrel but 300 BLK is too expensive to just shoot for me and exotically right now. So I also want a 556 upper for SD if I dont have any 300 BLK on hand and for range blasting. Its going to likely be fed a steady diet of steel case wolf or whatever I can find for cheap. Ive been trying to keep the price reasonable in the budget category but as long as its under a G its fine. So as this could be used for HD and as a general GTFO gun maybe its gotta be reliable.

The lower is basically done and the parts are on the way. Aero, SOLGW LPK, SBA3, H2 buffer and a springco blue. The plan for the trigger is a larue MBT1S..all told Im a hair over 350 into the lower and it should be GTG right?

The upper is another story I can piece one together for around 500 or so. I got a toolcraft BCG and a couple BCM blem uppers on the way. I was going to round out the upper likely with a BA 10.3 barrel and an aero or larue handguard. Now this would be fine but is it really duty grade? Can someone actuality build a duty grade upper?

If I wanted something truly duty grade where would I look? BCM, Sionics, SOLGW right? Anywhere else? What if I wanted to keep the price under 700 bucks with a BCG? Possible?
    I am a nobody here and my option is worth < 0 but ...

I bought a Centurion Arms upper for my 6920 and it is spectacular. H/T to Stickman.

Cost blood? Yeah.

But I can’t afford a collection, unfortunately, so as I scrape scarce FRNs together I want to spend them on top-shelf quality parts and firearms. Acquisition is slow due to my limited finances, but there will likely never be a need to replace anything, ever.

“Cry once,” as they say ...

This message is worth what you paid for it.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 04-15-20 at 17:17.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    If ammo cost is a factor, skip the 300blk upper and ammo and buy more 556, and put in real work with it.

Why build 2 uppers using different ammo when you cant afford to shoot one out for years?

How much experience do you have with ARs? Do you REALLY know how all the parts work together?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-15-20 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    Isnt ammo cost always a factor? Right now the cheapest 300 I can find in stock is 75 cpr and most is over a dollar..yeah I cant do a ton of shooting if Im dropping 30 bucks a mag, not many people can. The one reason Ive been considering it more is wolf is bringing in the steel case stuff that should have been here by now but Im sure is messed up by all this virus stuff. I think I get your gist though get what you can shoot a lot and practice with it right? proficiency over ammo type that type of thing?

As for the other question I dont know it depends I guess and Im not super sure what you getting at with it. Ive shot ARs a decent amount, Im positive not nearly as much as a lot of people here but more than average I would say. I have a good working knowledge on AR and can disassemble and reassemble one. Do I REALLY know how all the parts work together? I mean no Im not an armorer or anything like that. Its one of the reasons that I consider just getting a complete upper from someone reputable then I dont have to take it to a gunsmith here to get the head space checked and all that.
    Last edited by loki993; 04-16-20 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think there are a lot of us who are waiting for the Wolf 300BLK ammo to finally get sold. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds of BLK on hand, but zero desire to shoot up my pile of good stuff.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    I am a nobody here and my option is worth < 0 but ...

I bought a Centurion Arms upper for my 6920 and it is spectacular. H/T to Stickman.

Cost blood? Yeah.

But I can’t afford a collection, unfortunately, so as I scrape scarce FRNs together I want to spend them on top-shelf quality parts and firearms. Acquisition is slow due to my limited finances, but there will likely never be a need to replace anything, ever.

“Cry once,” as they say ...

This message is worth what you paid for it.
    Hard to argue the above words, with the possible exception of any praise directed towards me. Centurion Arms makes a phenomenal lineup of AR products.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Can you define "duty grade"? A BCM upper with a BA barrel and Larue handguard will send rounds downrange just fine. Just make sure you check headspace, and you should be a-OK for any apocalypse scenario you find yourself in.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-16-20 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd skip 300 for now.
    Buy/build a quality upper and grab all the ammo you can afford for now. If you feel the need to spend more right away, grab another bcg. Then more ammo. You can build duty grade just fine, but if you don't have the tools, you may be better just buying a high quality upper already assembled.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Double.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Can you define "duty grade"? A BCM upper with a BA barrel and Larue handguard will send rounds downrange just fine. Just make sure you check headspace, and you should be a-OK for any apocalypse scenario you find yourself in.
    Duty grade is something I can depend on, its something that if I do my part with maintenance I can reasonably expect flawless functionality. I consider my Colt "duty grade"

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'd skip 300 for now.
    Buy/build a quality upper and grab all the ammo you can afford for now. If you feel the need to spend more right away, grab another bcg. Then more ammo. You can build duty grade just fine, but if you don't have the tools, you may be better just buying a high quality upper already assembled.
    My brother has done a couple, so the tools are available, thats not an issue. Yeah I can toy with 300 more down the road I suppose, now probably isnt the best time to get into it. I have plenty of 556 and more on the way hopefully.
    Last edited by loki993; 04-16-20 at 15:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast