Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLUTED BARRELS - GOOD OR BAD

Feedback Score

FLUTED BARRELS - GOOD OR BAD

Hi to you all:
    Got a question. I ran across a comment by someone regarding fluted barrels. Now I know that some expensive barrels are fluted, so maybe I'm answering my own question.
    But the comment was about fluting weakening a barrel because of the grooves cut into it. I have to admit this does make some sense.

Any opinions on this?

Feedback Score
    I would have to guess there comes a point where it's possible but I highly doubt the cuts go deep enough to make a difference unless your using it as a pogo stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't believe it makes significant difference one way or the other. Fluting is a form thing more than a function thing. I'll pass.

MM

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here's a good article on fluted barrels. Main purpose is weight reduction and cooling:
    http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...relFluting.asp

Feedback Score
    I am interested in hearing these answers...especially with some scientific reasoning and data. To start - I am no expert.

I have owned several 5.56 & .308 rifles that are fluted: Stainless Rock Creek 14.5" AR, Badger 16" on DSA FAL and most recently a V Seven cut/machined PacNor 16" AR (very similar to Noveske)), BCM extreme light weight CM 14.5" and dimpled CM Knights 16".

I can not comment on accuracy versus the non-fluted equivalents - other than to say that they happen to be among my most accurate rifles. Anecdotally, there is a link in my mind between fluting and general accuracy, but I can't say it is for sure if it is the barrel. The theory I have heard & generally subscribe to has more to do with the "heat-sink" or radiator effect created by creating more surface area on the barrel exposed to ambient air (cooler than the barrel)...helping to cool the barrel, leading to less barrel stress and corresponding better longevity. There is also the effect of removing material, making the gun lighter (to carry/maneuver), but the trade off being recoil management.

I believe that much of this can also accomplished with a bull/heavy barrel design, proper crowing....but I am no benchrest/bipod shooter.

Looking forward to hearing more...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think good/bad is a poor choice of words, so I'd suggest pros/cons or advantages/disadvantages and maybe even cost/benefit analyses.

GIVEN - A hollow cylinder is stronger than a solid cylinder of equal mass and the same material. And that most of the 'strength' of a cylindrical shape comes from the outer dimensional portions, i.e., cube of the radial IIRC.

GET - Take a solid cylindrical rod and drill out 1/2 the volume from the center ... you do not lose 1/2 the strength. The strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod.

ASSUMPTIONS - I assume the logic (fluted vs unfluted barrels) somewhat follows these same engineering principles. (It is the mass component that confuses me.)

So maybe for a true comparison you'd have to compare barrels of the same length and weight, where the diameter of the fluted barrel and the #, length and depth of the flutes fit that weight/length parameters.
    Last edited by Lefty223; 07-14-17 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    Fluting done right is not cheap. It does aid in cooling because of reduced mass.*

*Edited!
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 07-14-17 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, this is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    I think good/bad is a poor choice of words, so I'd suggest pros/cons or advantages/disadvantages and maybe even cost/benefit analyses.

GIVEN - A hollow cylinder is stronger than a solid cylinder of equal mass and the same material. And that most of the 'strength' of a cylindrical shape comes from the outer dimensional portions, i.e., cube of the radial IIRC.

GET - Take a solid cylindrical rod and drill out 1/2 the volume from the center ... you do not lose 1/2 the strength. The strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod.

ASSUMPTIONS - I assume the logic (fluted vs unfluted barrels) somewhat follows these same engineering principles. (It is the mass component that confuses me.)

So maybe for a true comparison you'd have to compare barrels of the same length and weight, where the diameter of the fluted barrel and the #, length and depth of the flutes fit that weight/length parameters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Fluting having any real impact on barrels operating temp is as real as global warming.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Fluting having any real impact on barrels operating temp is as real as global warming.
    I would think it would have to be a pretty thick barrels with many deep, narrow flutes (like those JP barrel heat sinks) before you would be able to notice any difference in cooling ability.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast