Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-Term Storage: Materials, Mothballs, and Methods

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Long-Term Storage: Materials, Mothballs, and Methods

With the market as well-saturated as it is, I'm looking to put some recent acquisitions away for an indefinite amount of time - i.e., at least a couple of years. It's not 1946 and I'm not the British Empire, so cosmoline is out. What I'm wondering is how modern materials used in modern weaponry hold up to modern methods of preservation.

MATERIALS

Carbon Steel: Most are coated via parkerizing, bluing, or nitride/NP3/Cerakote/chrome-lining. There are books condensed to articles condensed to three-sentence forum posts all over the place about what works and what doesn't, considering it's still the predominant material used in guns, specifically barrels and roll pins.

Wood: Much like the Carbon Steel note above, libraries have been written pertaining to keeping furniture looking new, though finishing techniques are more varied, from stains to paint to polyurethane.

"Stainless Steel": Corrodes far less readily than carbon alloys, but is still susceptible to chemicals and environment if left neglected (which storage essentially is: Controlled-Condition Neglect).

Aluminum: 99%+ of it used for firearms is anodized, and essentially protected. It only oxidizes on its outermost surface if exposed, so it's not much of a concern. Hydrogen embrittlement and rapid breakdown occur in the presence of very specific substances.

Polymer: As varied as species of wood, but still new enough in manufacturing that modern compositions are all over the place in terms of physical properties... and extensive research into their longevity simply can't exist yet. Who knows what UV light does to a PMag after 20 years of continuous exposure? Does the rubber in Hogue accessories crumble after a decade of oxygen exposure? I'd include nylon slings and kydex in this category.

Composites: Here, I'm referring to G10/Micarta and the like. Largest concerns would be delamination and fuzzing (when small pieces of the non-resin component break loose and create voids in the surface of the material).

Glass: Inert. Mainly prone to scratches and breakage.

Leather: Chemically active, to the point that it's a bad idea to leave carbon steel in them for storage, yet prone to drying out and cracking unless properly cared for. Still, millenia-old examples have survived.

Electronics: Most mid-range to high-end devices have provisions in place to protect their innards from water and air, usually through neoprene gaskets and o-rings. Repeated flexing can lead to decay, but I have no idea how well they hold up sitting still.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Next, I'd like to list known preservation substances, or

MOTHBALLS

Cosmoline: Cheap. Smelly. Messy. Stains. Soaks into wood.

Renaissance Wax: Expensive ($35/200ml). Smells like shoe polish. Easy to apply, can go on everything from paper documents, to metal, to leather, to stone, to... you get the picture. Creates a barrier between the outside surface and surrounding air, hardening in a matter of minutes when used correctly. However, I don't know about its UV resistance, nor its durability.

Birchwood-Casey Barricade: Can flow into hard-to-reach places, prevents rust on metals, but not recommended for other materials. Comes in a spray can or pre-soaked wipes (good for bores). Ballistol is potentially another good alternative.

Silicone Gun Socks: Offer less corrosion resistance than directly-applied preservatives, but in a convenient form that slips onto and off of the gun. Also provides a bit of padding in case of moderately rough handling.

Desiccant packs: Cheap, easy to use. Largest issues seem to be that sure, they trap moisture - but hold it in place. A saturated pack in place against carbon steel (or other easily-affected material) can form a rust bloom and pitting in that area. Possible solutions range from packing with desiccant in an already low-humidity environment, no affixing the pack well away from any surfaces and running a rigid channel of some sort to the object, hoping that passive airflow can allow the pack to absorb all ambient moisture.

Inert Gas Purging: Ideally the best option, but prohibitive in the Average Joe Garage Workshop. Airplane engines have been built and stored in sealed, nitrogen-purged containers, then opened fifty years later, oil and fuel added, and they start up perfectly.

WD-40: Only mentioning it because it's still touted as an anti-corrosion agent. It's not. Gun takes a dunk in the river, fine - soak it with WD-40 to get the water out - but then clean and oil it properly.

Lastly, the solid thing the mothball-saturated material goes into: the...

METHODS

Safe: The magical ever-shrinking cabinet, modern gun safes offer a range of features and protection including multiple security checks, controlled humidity, fire resistance, and plain ol' immobility. However, in addition to limited interior space aside, other drawbacks include likely visibility, high price, and limited location (floors need reinforcement/bolt capability) and enough room for the safe's door).

Case: Whether a cheap $20 Plano Gun Guard or $300+ Pelican/SKB case, they offer fantastic impact resistance, but on their own, are found wanting in the environmental protection area. Even o-ring sealed solutions often still have a provision for a valve, which may or may not fail at an unnoticed point, rendering its exterior moisture resistance invalid. For handguns, a surplus ammo box may suffice, but a chip or scratch in the paint exposing bare metal can lead to rusting through.

Vacuum Seal: Great for sous-vide cooking, still controversial with equipment. Within the realm of bulk-buyers and hunters, they're used extensively. The method reduces the amount of available air -and by extension, humidity -around the component, but can still potentially leave enough water and oxygen content behind to allow corrosion. Sharp points on the object in question can poke holes in the barrier if left unpadded, whether inside or outside.

Offsite: Raging from attics to storage units to old barns, this method almost guarantees undisturbed rest. Simultaneously, it potentially exposes the whole package to unforeseen elements (sunlight and heat/cold/rain), to plain forgetfulness. We've all heard stories about a grandson finding his Pawpaw's war-trophy Stg.44 in the attic, or of classic cars found in NoWheresVille, UK that upset the market value because only five were known to exit, and the landowner felt like poking around at the last minute inside the old barn before a bypass was to be built through the area. Sometimes a layer of dust is all that has to be removed, but more often, there's lube residue and owl dung that have solidified on the rediscovered treasure.

What I'd like is to figure out a way that I can protect my rarer, less-shot, and more valuable pieces against Mother Nature and Father Time, short of sending them to Reed Knight's Institute of Military Technology. What method, or combination of methods, has/have worked for y'all? I plan to update this post as suggestions for any/all categories and combinations (Wax on the wood, Barricade on the metal, maybe?) arise.
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 07-14-17 at 22:23.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You mentioned Ballistol
    https://ballistol.com/longevity/

And it protects steel, leather and wood.

Another option is vapor inhibitors...seen it in wraps, chunks, and bag forms.

I would assume oxygen absorbers, like those used for dry food storage, would work if a suitable container could be found.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 07-14-17 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wouldn't vapor inhibitors fall under the realm of silicone socks, and oxygen absorbers under desiccant packs?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Brownells sells some odd products for this like a rust blocking paper and also these small yellow tabs that supposedly absorb moisture. Anyone have any experience with these? Do they actually work? I'm going to need to wrap some stuff up soon, and I'd like to use something less obsolete than cosmoline.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    Brownells sells some odd products for this like a rust blocking paper and also these small yellow tabs that supposedly absorb moisture. Anyone have any experience with these? Do they actually work? I'm going to need to wrap some stuff up soon, and I'd like to use something less obsolete than cosmoline.
    I dont think the small yellow tabs don't absorb moisture,they emit a vapor to protect against corrosion. I've used them for years, and I've not had any corrosion with them.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    VCI bags available here:

http://polygunbag.com/

Feedback Score
    Coat gun in Your favorite lube, clip, slip2000, ballistol....
    Vci wrap
    Vacuum seal it.
    Keep it in the safe.
    If you really want to make sure, throw some desiccant and o2 absorbent in there.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-15-17 at 06:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Wouldn't vapor inhibitors fall under the realm of silicone socks, and oxygen absorbers under desiccant packs?
    As Brett Kastl mentioned vapor inhibitors give off a chemical corrosion inhibitor which would protect internals as well. Have had pieces of VCI with guns and other stuff from the factory with no rust so assuming it works.

My assumption on silicone socks is that those are more along the lines of wiping with an oily rag with silicone being the oil. Read mixed reviews on silicone sock results also, but haven't tried them.

Oxygen absorbers do just that and it is my understanding to prevent oxidation. It is my understanding that if the seal on the container is jarred the oxygen absorber will resume doing it's thing and attempt to reseal the container versus the dessicant absorbing moisture with the potential downsides as you have mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vola...sion_inhibitor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    G-10 is the last thing I would worry about storing. It wont degrade in your lifetime if stored with any reasonable care.

Andy

Feedback Score
    IMO, this is one of the better videos that compares products. I learned a lot about products I was unfamiliar with:

https://youtu.be/rcS-_64qPBc

Chemists they are not, but their familiarity with products they use is pretty solid.

Short answer for me is Ballistol, as I once stored a wood/blue Winchester 70 for 9 years in a cheap plastic and foam gun case wrapped in packing paper and cardboard (packed by movers during a military move). Gun was packed in AK in April 2001 and didn't see light until summer 2010. Prior to shipping, I simply sprayed it down with Ballistol and Rem Oil.

Case foam was hard as a rock. While in Delaware, the gun box was stored in a damp basement with a bunch of other stuff (4 years). No telling where it was stored while I was in Japan for 3 years...Carolinas I think.

Was NOT my intention to neglect this gun for so long, just life happened. But Ballistol and Remoil protected it, bolt, stock, and barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast