Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning 6p into WML

Feedback Score

Turning 6p into WML

So I have a couple of old Original Surefire 6p's. Out of curiosity, I put a cheapo $7 Cree Led drop-in I bought from Ebay into one. It is nice and bright, but I haven't had the desire to mount it on the AR and attempt to run it hard.

I have another 6p that is bone stock. I would like to upgrade this one and put it on the AR. Would me upgrading to a Malkoff drop in be all that is needed? Would the original head(minus the incandescent bulb) be just fine for weapons use? I know the body would be fine, but would the original momentary on/twist for constant on, tailcap be fine for hard weapons use?

Hoping somebody could clear this up. Sorry if this has been hashed before, I searched some pages back, and it seems like the x300 style or scout is the popular choice. I just like the option that if I were to use a mounted handheld, I could remove it from the rifle and it have dual use if I wanted to put it by the bedside or even in the glovebox.

Feedback Score
    I have an old G2 with malkoff device mounted to my Stag and it works just fine. I did switch to a clicky tail cap for convenience of constant on when needed. This set up is perfectly serviceable if the need were to arise that I had to use that rifle in a self defense scenario.

It's not the latest High Speed Low Drag set up that SEAL Team Delta 6 is running but it is serviceable.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    I have the G2 with the Malkoff drop in. Been a good set up. I stuck with the momentary switch. I have rifles set up with clicky and momentary, have seen pros and cons in training with both set ups.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I probably have 4 or 5 of the old Surefire 6P lights with a Malkoff M61 drop in. They have a lot of spill, and no deadspots. Gene Malkoff makes great stuff, and they are on sale for $39 bucks right now. I just picked up another.

A recycled 6P with a Malkoff LED makes for a tough beater light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I probably have 4 or 5 of the old Surefire 6P lights with a Malkoff M61 drop in. They have a lot of spill, and no deadspots. Gene Malkoff makes great stuff, and they are on sale for $39 bucks right now. I just picked up another.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

I have a couple of these and they work great.

Feedback Score
    I also still use the Surefire 6P/G2 lights with Malkoff LED bulbs (and stock Surefire on off switches).

You should consider using a "warm" tint Malkoff LED, like their M61W. I think "W" in the model # means warm tint.

When you fire a few shots, there will probably be a LOT of smoke, especially if indoors. The vast majority of LED bulbs have a blue/white tint. My understanding is that it is good for increasing the LED lumen rating. But from my limited experience, those LED bulbs also create a surprising amount of glare with the smoke from gunfire (even just a few shots). Some brands are worse than others.

With the warm tint bulbs that are sold by Malkoff, you can minimize this glare and see much better. It's the same concept as having yellow fog lights on a vehicle.

Even without smoke from gunfire, you can usually see details better with a warm tint bulb (despite the lower lumen ratings).

I have no ties or relationship to Malkoff. But I think they make the only "warm" color ones for Surefire.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To add I also have old 6P that I converted to LED with the Surefire LED Conversion head. I did I make the right choice or should I have done Makoff or Cree bulbs.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    To add I also have old 6P that I converted to LED with the Surefire LED Conversion head. I did I make the right choice or should I have done Makoff or Cree bulbs.
    I think it's probably fine. But I think you could have done better with a Malkoff warm tint LED, and maybe have saved a few dollars too (over the cost of the Surefire LED conversion head. I don't know the prices, but I'm guessing the Surefire head was expensive.

I have never found a good quality, reliable, and affordable click on-off switch for the 6P and G2 models. If someone knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    I put a Z49 tail cap on mine too for momentary and constant on if needed. It has a bit of a ridge around the button to protect it from inadvertent knocks.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast