Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning 6p into WML

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My old patrol rifle setup (circa 1998) was a 6p in a 1 inch scope ring mounted to a picatinny rail. The 6p has plenty of light for room clearing and with thousands of rounds shot never had a bulb failure.

Feedback Score
    Thought I would give an update.

I received my M61 drop in yesterday. I love it. Comparing to my cheap Cree Led drop in, this is built like a tank and the LED isn't nearly as blue/gives a bluish tint. I will definitely use this drop in for all future HD/tactical handheld flashlights. Nice and bright but not so overly bright it blinds me off white walls. And it has great spill even in the larger rooms.

In short, I would definitely recommend Malkoff drop ins.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by praythenspray View Post
    In short, I would definitely recommend Malkoff drop ins.
    +1

I use the neutral drop-in in my 3P clone;

Also, Malkoff complete lights are truly outstanding. The M61T MD2 on my carbine, the Hound Dog 18650 (with MD2 body) on my 1187;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Turning 6p into WML

Another Clicky switch option for Surefire Z41 talcaps is the McClicky kit from Oveready.

Installation only takes a couple minutes, and the switches are very reliable....and replaceable in a couple minutes.

I've been running 6P Classics with M61N drop-ins on weapons for years.

The tint isn't neutral, but the M61 HOT head on the MD2 works really well, delivering significantly more throw than the M61, with useful spill.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-15-17 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I probably have 4 or 5 of the old Surefire 6P lights with a Malkoff M61 drop in. They have a lot of spill, and no deadspots. Gene Malkoff makes great stuff, and they are on sale for $39 bucks right now. I just picked up another.

A recycled 6P with a Malkoff LED makes for a tough beater light.
    Where are you finding 6P's for $40? I find them on amazon for $70, and a few places at $60, but not $40.

I am still kicking myself for not picking up a half dozen when I saw them on amazon for $27 a light shipped. Alas, I only have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Where are you finding 6P's for $40? I find them on amazon for $70, and a few places at $60, but not $40.

I am still kicking myself for not picking up a half dozen when I saw them on amazon for $27 a light shipped. Alas, I only have one.
    I think he means the Malkoff head, not the 6P.

That said, I almost always buy used 6Ps or G2s when I see them for sale on a forum. Usually around $35-40. That way I don't feel bad when I gut it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The tint isn't neutral, but the M61 HOT head on the MD2 works really well, delivering significantly more throw than the M61, with useful spill.
    Both the M61T (Throw) and M61HOT (High Output Throw) use TIR optics (like the SF X-series) to focus the beam. Though they can only be used on Malkoff bodies, both of these heads work really well for WML applications. And of course, they are awesome hand held too!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post

http://www.illumn.com/surefire-6p-or...batteries.html

I just picked up 2 of these for $80 shipped TYD.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I second with the Malkoffs, turned my old 6P into a great WML for a standard A2 carbine. Coupled with the Elzetta ZFH1500 it's a great value for re-using your old lights. After having used the Elzetta for how many years, I believe it's basically like the VTAC flashlight mount, both are around $30 and work great. The difference being the ZFH1500 is dedicated for a standard FSB and the VTAC is for 1913 rails. I also have a Malkoff to replace the standard bulb for an old SF M951. Heavy, but it enables me to me still use it as an WML.

Feedback Score
    I too highly recommend the Malkoff Drop In's, but I prefer the WW version for better CRI. At 200 lumens, they aren't as bright as modern emitters being pushed harder, but the reliability is second to none, so for any 6P/G2 based WML's, I only use Malkoff's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast