Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16" Spr barrel recommendation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you can see spending a little more on the barrel, I recommend a Compass Lake Engineering Recon barrel. Although it is not a SPR barrel, it is very similar. Their Recon barrel is 16.1 inches and comes standard with M4 Feed Ramps, MID GAS SYSTEM, 1/2-28 threaded muzzle, and the proper OPS, Inc. muzzle contour for OPS, Inc. collar. It is made using a Douglas blank and comes in 1/7 or 1/8 twist. You can also have it made with a CLE Match or Wylde chamber. They also have three ways it can be finished. I have one of these barrels on a build I did back in 2014. I absolutely love the performance I get from it.

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...roducts_id=337
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Potshot View Post
    The ability to utilize a 1/2 moa vs 1moa barrel is going to mostly be on the shooter. There is a certain point of diminishing return...A woa vs Proof research for example.
    The OP really needs to tell us what he expects to do with the rifle. You could give me a barrel that old man Douglas polished with his own pecker and I'd still be a 1+ MOA shooter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For $309.00 plus shipping you can get a 16" BCM 410SS 1:8" twist. I know you stated sub-$300, but this is only a little more for what I feel is a great barrel.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies. It's fair to ask how I will use this rifle. CQB carbine matches, shooting silhouettes, bench shooting. It will be topped with a Vortex Strike eagle.

I would like sub moa with the ammo the barrel likes. Some days I can shoot that well...some days not...

Maybe "Recon" contour is a better description since 16" is a must. Weight--I would not like to get much more than 35oz.

Feedback Score
    Was that supposed to be CQB carbine matches, or two different activities? If it was CQB and carbine matches, those kinda have different sets of requirements.

There are plenty of good options out there. For being lightweight and accurate, Larue Tactical has a barrel line (both the Stealth and PredatAR) that seem to have good reputations, and cost around $225. And do not have personal experience with them, but Larue isn't known for crap, either.

Edit: if it was my money, I would probably be looking at the Criterion Hybrid profile line.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 07-16-17 at 18:54.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    CQB Carbine match...is one activity. They are IDPA style matches with some longer shots than you would find in a traditional IDPA match...is some stages you will transition to your sidearm.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    As others have said, Criterion hybrid offer excellent value in the $300 range. Their 16" hybrid weighs 1.95 lbs, and their nitrided SS barrels are hand lapped before nitriding. As I understand it, Criterion makes the 410 SS barrels for BCM. All their barrels are dimpled for set screw gas blocks. The 16" mid has a .080" gas port, so you might want to get a BRT microtune gas block to bring it down to .076" or less.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    A rainier arms ultramatch (made from Shilen blanks) just hit the EE. I'd give that a serious look at that price.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    16" Noveske Recon barrel

Only barrel in this thread that comes with a pinned on gas block.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I've been happy with this one

http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inc...um-barrel.html

It's heavy but shoots good and can upgrade to pinned lo-pro or FSB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast