Thread: ANYONE EVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HANDGUARD LOOSENING UP WITH A SLING

Feedback Score

ANYONE EVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE HANDGUARD LOOSENING UP WITH A SLING

Hi to everyone:
    I'm into my second AR build and just got an ATI 12" free floating hand guard I have an ATI on my other AR and like it a lot but that guard has 3 set screws to secure it to the nut.
    What I'm concerned with regarding this new guard is that it attaches to the barrel nut with only one 3/32 - 1/4" high set screw. I want to put a sling on this new gun and it seems to me that this hand guard with only this one small set screw could all to easily come loose AND that could even stretch the screw hole.

I know you guys have put together a lot of ARs and would like to know if you've ever run into the hand guard loosening up because of it there not being secured enough to the nut. And, having a sling on it is only going to make the situation worse.

Thanks for replies
    Last edited by Mahoney223; 07-16-17 at 12:44. Reason: Changed wording

Feedback Score
    You already bought it, why ask now?

ATI generally makes crap, I don't know if the hand guard would have issues, but it sounds pretty chinsey. I would suggest returning it if possible and buying a good ff hand guard for a little more. Bcm Kmr s are $200. Alg makes decent stuff (based on reviews here) and can be had for $145. If money is super tight, I'd get that.

If you can't return it, just run it. If it breaks, it's a learning experience.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-16-17 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You already bought it, why ask now?

ATI generally makes crap, I don't know if the hand guard would have issues, but it sounds pretty chinsey. I would suggest returning it if possible and buying a good ff hand guard for a little more. Bcm Kmr s are $200. Alg makes decent stuff (based on reviews here) and can be had for $145. If money is super tight, I'd get that.

If you can't return it, just run it. If it breaks, it's a learning experience.
    Yea but the BCM KMR doesn't have the plastic zombi cutter nose cone thing on it. I thought the OP mis stated when he said set screws... Sure enough the ATI instructions say 10-32 set screws!

Feedback Score
    Alright...don't rub it in.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ALG also has the V0 version for $80.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahoney223 View Post
    Alright...don't rub it in.
    Good response, I like your style! Seriously. If you made a mistake learn from it.

I have nothing but good to say about ALG EMR's they are the best bang for the buck going as far as I'm concerned.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I didn't consider alg handguards for a while since they were "cheap". I finally bought one and love it. Great barrel nut. Good profile. Relatively lightweight. I highly recommend them. Inexpensive does not have to mean cheap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    ALG also has the V0 version for $80.
    And the v1 is $100- wow did not know they were that low in price. I may snag one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have not had that problem, though I tend to use high quality components.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB