Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide Milling Services or Optics Ready Gun?

Feedback Score

Slide Milling Services or Optics Ready Gun?

I recently bought a Delta Point Pro to put on one of my handguns, but I'm wondering which milling shop to go with or to just buy an optics ready gun. I'm considering Suarez, ATEi, Primary Machine or possibly just buying an extra slide. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with any of these places? I also haven't decided which gun to put it on, I have a P320, M&P, and Glocks.

Choices, choices, I may just buy a Glock MOS or an M&P CORE. The gun will be used for HD and range use. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have not read much good about the factory Glocks or Smiths. Internet - FWIW.
    I had Suarez mill my p320 slide - couldn't be happier. They also have separate in-house Glock slides.

John
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Slide Milling Services or Optics Ready Gun?

I think that milling the slide is the way to go.

You'll get a "better" fit to the slide and typically a smaller height over bore if you have the slide milled out. It's also typically cheaper to have the slide milled than to buy a new gun or slide that's ready to accept optics.

If you send it off, you might as well do some additional slide modifications such as enhanced serrations. You're looking at about $3-400 for the optic cut, serrations, and refinishing.

I'm about to send my slide to L&M Precision for the above mentioned modifications. I'll report back when I get everything back but the word is that he and ATEi are the places to go.

Last edited by lahunter57; 07-17-17 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Remember the current generation of optics realistically has maybe five years left - parts break, new models are introduced, old models lose support, etc. As such, with milling you're eventually going to have a slide that's cut and tapped specifically for one unit - sitting with a dead optic on top and no way to fix it.

For some people this may be acceptable - just buy a new slide and carry on. For others it may not. Just something to think about before you drop the coin. The milled slide will sit lower, will have a tighter fit, and will have a better chance of co-witnessing with sights. The MOS et al will have more flexibility, more choices, and better resale if you remove/kill the optic.

Feedback Score
    I have 3 MOS or 4, hard to remember. I'm very happy with my MOS.

The other option is an Optics mounting plate that takes the place of a dovetail on a Glock. It's about $49-$50. The disadvantage is that there is no backup iron sights.

The disadvantage of MOS for me is having to buy Suppressor height night sights, as backup to my RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buying a Glock slide or even milling you existing slide will be cheaper than buying an MOS. Suarez starts at $315 for a Glock slide. Even a Unity Atom slide is $500. So unless you can beat that with an MOS, a second slide will be cheaper. Unless you're willing to sacrifice your existing slide and have it machined, that is.

Duek Defense makes a decent dovetail adapter that you can slap on your existing Glock slide to see if you like the idea of a slide mounted dot. Not sure if they have one for the DP, but it's worth a look on their site. I think the RMR were going for $150 or so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Buying a Glock slide or even milling you existing slide will be cheaper than buying an MOS. Suarez starts at $315 for a Glock slide. Even a Unity Atom slide is $500. So unless you can beat that with an MOS, a second slide will be cheaper. Unless you're willing to sacrifice your existing slide and have it machined, that is.

Duek Defense makes a decent dovetail adapter that you can slap on your existing Glock slide to see if you like the idea of a slide mounted dot. Not sure if they have one for the DP, but it's worth a look on their site. I think the RMR were going for $150 or so.
    Does that include sights, extractor and internals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the responses, they are very helpful.

I forgot to mention the 3rd mounting solution I've been considering. The Dueck Defense plate is something I have been researching. It seems pretty good, but it makes an already tall optic (my DPP) even taller. It may not matter that much though.

It seems like the Dueck plate or an optics ready gun makes the most sense for me. I don't want to mill my G19 because it has proof marks not found on my newer G23, my P320 is FDE which is hard to replace, and my M&P was a deployment gun with my unit crest where the milling would be. The optics ready guns, while not perfect, would probably have plates available if optic footprints change and I also like that they come with a cover plate if no optic is used.

These are my thoughts, please tell me if I'm wrong or if I missed something. Thanks again.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    If just dipping your toe in the pond, and unsure about investing in slide milling, I would look at the RCS Baylor mount. Solid mount without permanent modification to the gun. Going into milling I would go to Doug at AETI, couldn't be happier with the 2 he has done for me, CS is top notch, and easy to work with.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...fitted-rmr-cut

This may help.

I opted for a $350 gen4 g23.

I'll be mounting to the sight and buying a KKM conversion barrel. $760 for a "match grade" rmr gun.

Edit to add, the Baylor is the same $ as milling the slide, but it's heavier, higher, doesn't support the frame of the sight, and the backup sight situation LOOKS subpar (no experience with it though).

The new rmr is the same footprint as the type1s.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-18-17 at 06:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast