Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting new build.

Feedback Score

Painting new build.

Im considering spray painting a new build I'm working on. I have one of my rifles done with cerakote. My question is... How long realistically will the spray paint hold on the rifle? Im going for a battleworn look anyways but wanted to know how long it lasts or if anyone has done this before, how long before you need to touch it up again ?

Feedback Score
    If you use spray paint and the rifle is used on a regular basis, the paint will chip off. The extent to which it does will depend on how hard you use the rifle. i.e. if you bring it to a sit down range once a week and then promptly place it back in the safe when you get home, the paint job will last you a long long time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I painted this gun 4 years ago and have not babied it. The high spots have worn through but just add another color to the sceeme. The nice thing with spray paint is you can reapply if you want to. I don't do anything as far as prep...just spray and let dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I painted two rifles and put a matte clear coat over both of them. The back of the stock and other 'contact areas' have worn off, but I haven't done any touch-up and I think it still looks fine. I'd go for it and just use it, if it wears down to the point you don't like the look, hit those spots again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Paint it and shoot it. I touched up my worn spots occasionally, probably every 1-2 years. It really just depends on what bothers you. Painting it may lower the resale value, but that's about the only drawback.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    IMHO....
    The point of spray painting your rifle is that you care more about blending in with your surroundings than how the rifle will look.
    If you're concerned about the paint staying on #cerakotethatshit.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sprayed my carbine with krylon camouflage three years ago and has held up fine. High spots are worn off but no chipping or flaking off and it's handled daily.

Make sure to wipe it down good with a cleaner to get the oil off and spray paint will last a long time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When the paint will need to be touched up depends on how hard the rifle is used and how often the wear tickles your CDO. Mine get repainted when I need a project or when I want to look good at the range.

On my handguards and grips, I apply a base coat with sand mixed in for extra traction
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-30-17 at 13:43.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    I sprayed my carbine with krylon camouflage three years ago and has held up fine. High spots are worn off but no chipping or flaking off and it's handled daily.

Make sure to wipe it down good with a cleaner to get the oil off and spray paint will last a long time.
    ^This^ I used the same paint. Before applying, I cleaned everything with brake cleaner. Then sprayed it about 20 minutes later. I applied it in three light coats and let it dry for an hour between. After it was dry I let it cure for a couple of weeks before taking it out and shooting it. The paint is amazingly tough. When shooting it I could smell it as the barrel heated up but the paint didn't burn off. I'm going to try it on a pistol project (non AR) just to see if it will work....
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Here's everything you need to know. I've done this to several carbines over the years and several more for friends.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/pa...he-book-of-pat
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast