Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Purpose Bipod

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    MarkM, could you tell the OP why? I'd be curious too.
    They are wildly over complicated. Always coming loose. A pain to diagnose. I genuinely get irritated when I have to shoot a gun with a Harris.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have both and find the Atlas to be way more versatile. The Harris now resides full time on one of my LR rifles. When switching from gun to gun, I do have to sometimes adjust the AD amount QD lever on the Atlas to fit different rails/rail sections but it's no big deal.

Another interesting product several of us are trying in our group is the Heathen Systems Assaulter bipod. It's a barricade stop and bipod combo meant to be simple and light. It's quite handy we're finding.

https://www.heathensystems.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Always coming loose.
    I had this issue until a dab of loctite and and overnight wait... The Harris works on the one carbine I shoot from a bipod.

I also have no plans on removing the bipod from that handguard for a little while, so that solution works for me when it may not for others.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    I especially like the 40* pan and the lock. Functions from noodle loose to a locked totally down lock. I was pleasantly surprised how stout it's built. Quite weighty but so what. Not running and dropping with it. Walking it from my truck to the bench while the wife carries my coffee.
    I've done a bit if that running and dropping.... well more like jogging and dropping and I haven't broken mine yet. The only qualms I have or maybe concern is that polymer tension 1/2 wing nut on the pan & swivel. Not that I've broken it, but it's just concerning. I wish it were metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I was actually going to suggest the same. I tried one out on a Remington 700 and have been quite pleased. I purchased directly from the mfg (Peleton Technology) because I found a good discount code. I have the non-notched pivot and pan version. The legs are still adjustable, and actually offer a wider range of adjustment compared to notches. It's not super easy to adjust the legs quickly on the fly; outside of fully collapsed or deployed. It's not difficult. Just not as quick as notches.

The pivot and pan features work great, and it locks up very tight. Altogether, it was a good purchase and has held up well on a 308. There are quite a few different options to choose from, so you can definitely find one with the features you're wanting.
    They have a decent military discount. I have the original non-notched version and the notched. In terms of getting the bipod level on a level surface the notched is faster to adjust for me. But it's rare that I am shooting prone from a level surface. The only levsel surface I shoot from is a bench and then I don't use it anyway, I'll use bags.
    I think because they aren't made in the motherland, they don't have wide acceptance, but as they work for me.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    When I have the need for a bipod (which is rare), I much prefer my Atlas over my Harris. In fact, the Harris almost never leaves the spare parts box since the ADM lever on my Atlas lets me put it on whatever rifle I need it to.

I really enjoy the fact that I can set the Atlas legs at different angles so I can get lower to the ground. The Atlas feels better made to me.

That said, I agree with NongShim above. I would rather drop my pack on the ground and shoot off it, or find some other way of stabilizing the rifle. The bipod is my "nothing else was available" option.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    They have a decent military discount. I have the original non-notched version and the notched. In terms of getting the bipod level on a level surface the notched is faster to adjust for me. But it's rare that I am shooting prone from a level surface. The only levsel surface I shoot from is a bench and then I don't use it anyway, I'll use bags.
    I think because they aren't made in the motherland, they don't have wide acceptance, but as they work for me.
    While they're not wildly popular or well known, it seems that everyone I encounter who's used one is pretty satisfied. Makes me think they should do some more advertising. I don't even remember how exactly I'd stumbled across them. IIRC it was on eBay, and then I spent a while trying to research and figure out who the heck they were

To your point about getting it level on a level surface, that's where the pivot and pan features really come in handy. I don't have to sit there tinkering with the legs (non-notched) for very long. Get it close and make the final adjustments with the pivot/pan. On that same topic, it is interesting you mention the wing nut. I too have thought it could be the one weak point. But, at the same time, it's not ever given me trouble.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend them and would certainly purchase another.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my Atlas. IMO it's the most versatile unit out there. If I had an extra $3K laying around I'd buy one for every AR I own. That said, I also have the Harris - S and the Harris - S knockoff made by Blackhawk. The Blackhawk cost me $49 and does a surprisingly good job. The Harris S is no slouch and also does a great job.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I've definitely been interested in the design of Atlas bipods. In particular, the greater versatility in how the legs can be oriented. However, for my purposes, I can't seem to rationalize spending that kind of money on a bipod. I'm not a scout sniper. I don't need it for work. I also don't shoot from a bipod all that often. Enough that it's worth having on some rifles, but I have no problem shooting from bags or an improvised rest. I'm sure Atlas are worth the money. For me, I simply can think of a lot of other things where the spending $200-$300 would provide more utility.

Like one will find with Harris, there are some companies I've come across who make bipods comparable to Atlas in how they function. And they sell them for considerably less money. For the most part they get pretty good reviews. There are some common shortcomings some will elude to; being slight issues with the pan/tilt features. Still, they seem to be resolved by spending a couple bucks on o-rings, loctite, or teflon tape. I may try one out, with the expectation that it's a $50 bipod. Not that it's supposed to be a 1:1 equivalent to an Atlas.

I think the hardest part is getting past their names. Green Blob, Fireclub, etc. Lol. Then again, I thought "Tip Top" was equally goofy. But it does the job quite well.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123