Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Bipod

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have an Atlas on my DMR and I do understand the price after using it, but I use it almost every time I fire that rifle. I have had a TipTop bipod now for about a year and a half on my SPR. It's proven itself to be a reliable bipod. The company is based out of CO, but I believe they outsource manufacturing. If you think you might be interested in it, shoot me a PM. I have an extra I can loan you to try out. You can send it back when your done. They run about $79-90 bucks for the one I bought. It has pan and swivel and it locks up nicely. I'm almost positive they offer a military discount so you could potentially save yourself a few bucks. It does have a a picatinny mount, but I may have an extra mlok laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an Atlas and a cheapie i cannot remember the name of. Anyway, I'm no bipod expert, but when I was doing research I found that a lot of precision shooters still use Harris, but they modify them. The modifications can be expensive and can add up to nearly the cost of the standard Atlas.

My requirements include a picatinny QD and there are ways to do that with both.

The Atlas legs lock in place while the Harris has springs that hold it in place. The Harris is very quick to deploy and fold. The Atlas allows unconventional leg placement. The Harris is less expensive. The Atlas is very light, not sure about the Harris with extras. The Altlas comes with some swivel, I can't remember what the Harris will do out of the box. For me the Atlas hit the deployed height sweet spot too.

My memory is not what it used to be. But look at: Weight, height, features, add-ons, total cost, leg deployment, etc. And match against your requirements.

With that said, I will be buying a Harris in the future as a secondary bipod.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I hate shooting guns with Harris pods. The Atlas is very worth the price to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I hate shooting guns with Harris pods. The Atlas is very worth the price to me.
    MarkM, could you tell the OP why? I'd be curious too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine's not a fancy one but has worked very well. Mine back in April was 69.00 shipped. They make longer ones if needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TipTop-Rifle...YAAOSw3v5YpNsz

On my Windham Government model, it's very easily installed / removed with the sling swivel - style pin.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The ONLY time I use a bipod is if the position will not allow for something soft to be used. Then I prefer the Atlas. It is sleeker and more user friendly to me. More adjustable in my view, given that the legs can be used at angles from the bore other than 90. When you consider that the Atlas comes ready to mount on a gun made in the 21st century (not sling stud), it's not much more than some Harris models after adapters are added. Prob lighter too at that point. The Harris has one strong point: rapid folding.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my Bobro bipods, but typically I don't use a bipod when I'm out and about. Department policy forbids them due to backwards thinking.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Mine's not a fancy one but has worked very well. Mine back in April was 69.00 shipped. They make longer ones if needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TipTop-Rifle...YAAOSw3v5YpNsz

On my Windham Government model, it's very easily installed / removed with the sling swivel - style pin.
    I was actually going to suggest the same. I tried one out on a Remington 700 and have been quite pleased. I purchased directly from the mfg (Peleton Technology) because I found a good discount code. I have the non-notched pivot and pan version. The legs are still adjustable, and actually offer a wider range of adjustment compared to notches. It's not super easy to adjust the legs quickly on the fly; outside of fully collapsed or deployed. It's not difficult. Just not as quick as notches.

The pivot and pan features work great, and it locks up very tight. Altogether, it was a good purchase and has held up well on a 308. There are quite a few different options to choose from, so you can definitely find one with the features you're wanting.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I was actually going to suggest the same. I tried one out on a Remington 700 and have been quite pleased. I purchased directly from the mfg (Peleton Technology) because I found a good discount code. I have the non-notched pivot and pan version. The legs are still adjustable, and actually offer a wider range of adjustment compared to notches. It's not super easy to adjust the legs quickly on the fly; outside of fully collapsed or deployed. It's not difficult. Just not as quick as notches.

The pivot and pan features work great, and it locks up very tight. Altogether, it was a good purchase and has held up well on a 308. There are quite a few different options to choose from, so you can definitely find one with the features you're wanting.
    I especially like the 40* pan and the lock. Functions from noodle loose to a locked totally down lock. I was pleasantly surprised how stout it's built. Quite weighty but so what. Not running and dropping with it. Walking it from my truck to the bench while the wife carries my coffee.

Feedback Score
    I've been happy with my Harris 9"-13" with swivel. The area where I shoot is always too grown up to use anything less than a 9" bipod. If I'm shooting off a bench while sighting in I'll use a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast