Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Pin Replacement for Colt SP1

Feedback Score

Front Pin Replacement for Colt SP1

I have a Colt SP1 and would like to replace the front double-screw pin with the correctly sized push pin. Does anyone have one for sale or know of a source? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no correct push pin for the SP1s. Since the lower is not dimpled inside the left pivot pin lug, the Daniel Defense pin will not secure properly. It will be susceptible to backing out. You are best sticking to the original pivot pin assembly.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    There is no correct push pin for the SP1s. Since the lower is not dimpled inside the left pivot pin lug, the Daniel Defense pin will not secure properly. It will be susceptible to backing out. You are best sticking to the original pivot pin assembly.
    I thought that the detent ball on the DD pin extends past the left or right of the slab-sided SP1 receiver; keeping it from backing out. Is this not the case?
    (I have an SP1 and just stuck to the double screws myself).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I thought that the detent ball on the DD pin extends past the left or right of the slab-sided SP1 receiver; keeping it from backing out. Is this not the case?
    (I have an SP1 and just stuck to the double screws myself).
    If the DD pin is like the pin that Nodak Spud makes, it does not stick out past the lug. It may be good to inquire as to how the DD pin works. Personally, I would not bother with it whether it works or not.

Feedback Score
    The DD pin works did it on a stripped SP1 lower and upper i bought for a build im working on because I don't want to scratch up the gun.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the DD pin is like the pin that Nodak Spud makes, it does not stick out past the lug. It may be good to inquire as to how the DD pin works. Personally, I would not bother with it whether it works or not.

The DD pin mates large hole slab side lowers to large hole uppers, such as an SP1.

The Nodak pin is for a Colt 601 or 602.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The DD pin mates large hole slab side lowers to large hole uppers, such as an SP1.

"Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

I am well aware of that.

Feedback Score
    My brother and I have used pins like the DD pins for years on our SP1 rifles (which we bought new in the 80's) and we have a fair number of them. I don't recall the manufacturer of those pins, but they look identical to the pic in the link for the DD pin that MM posted. Never had one offer to back out - not saying it couldn't happen, just saying its never happened to us. I understand that the risk of inadvertent loss was at least one of the reasons the non-captive pivot pin on the 601 was changed.

For our part, we decided that a push out pin was a better risk for field repair for our SP1s after I experienced an out-of-battery, high-primer ignition with a friend shooting my first CAR-15. No significant damage (thankfully) to the weapon, however it bent the extractor and jammed the bolt slightly out of battery. Not being in the habit of carrying two screw-drivers, the weapon was hors de combat until we could get to some hand tools. There are also user-induced malfunctions that can jam the bolt slightly out of battery - this being difficult to resolve without separating the upper from the lower.

While not exactly on point, I believe it is significant that a LARGE number of HK military weapons are held together by non-captive push pins. I have used a LARGE number of G3/G3K, HK33/53, and MP5 series weapons without losing a pin. I did have large and small pins in spares just in case (I've met Murphy more than once).
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Stops jihadis on contact - Lets Roll!

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast