Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annealing rifle brass

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Annealing rifle brass

Been doing a lot of reading on the subject concerning annealing between reloadings. Especially for my bolt cartridges that are improved and or Wildcats where I have significant time investment. Any real world user's here? What works for you?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Researching annealing is opening a can of worms. As with every other aspect of reloading, there's a path for those who lack any amount of common sense... and you need to cling to a "quantifiable" methodology for the task. (i.e. tempilac, etc.)

In a nutshell... Too much heat ruins brass. Too little accomplishes nothing.

For .223/5.56, I've never had the need to anneal. I run a factory crimp die which SEEMS to be the work around that allows me to run precision ammo in bulk without annealing.

For .308 however, I can really feel inconsistent neck tension when bullet seating if I don't do annealing.

I hand anneal .308 and .300 WM brass EVERY loading. I do it by hand. I twist the brass in the flame one piece at a time and use the oxidation iris on the brass to see that I'm not over heating the brass. I started out by annealing in low light to ensure that I wasn't getting the brass cherry red hot and destroying it. But I eventually got general flame times developed in my head to where I can run it in regular lighting, and watch the oxidation iris develop in conjunction with the estimated time requirement.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Consistent heating seems crucial for annealing. No surprise as consistency is something we all strive for in reloading. Do you believe that the gas ring sold by the woodchuck den would improve consistency over the standard technique of brass rotation? If the standard brass rotation system works well enough than I could forgo the $50 expense of the gas ring.

The rifle brass that I am particularly concerned for is 510 wells, 3006 Ackley, and 6 BR.

Thanks markm!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've used this simple technique for years- hold a rifle case by the base and slowly turn the neck over an open candle flame. When the case is too hot to hold, set it down on a wet cloth or paper towel. This is not enough to quench the case but allows for quick cooling. This method has greatly extended the life of my 6mm AI, 6.5-284 Norma, .308 and 300 Norma brass.

Remember that Cartridge brass is an alloy of zinc and copper. While copper has a very high melting point, zinc will melt at 787 degrees Fahrenheit. If the zinc melts, the brass will be forever soft. That said, I am now experiencing annealing brass using temperature resistant paint. I paint the necks of ten cases with paint designed to resist temperature up to 750 degrees. Using either a candle or handheld torch, I heat each neck until the paint disappears. I then average the recorded times and simply count that amount for every other case.

Both methods are fairly cheap, easy and , in my experience, reliable. Either way, a .308 case takes about 10 seconds to reach annealing temperature, so figure a little less for .223. I shoot little precision in that caliber so have never needed to anneal.

Experiment a little and good luck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not familiar with the gas ring. But even my worst consistent annealing is much better than the wildly inconsistent neck tension I got without.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just bought a propane torch. Time to see what happens.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There does seem to be some discrepancies in the literature and in various topical on line threads concerning visual cues on when enough heating has occurred. From dull red to slight discoloration. Can you elaborate on what exactly is your oxidation iris?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I built an annealer that is a copy of one that is popular on youtube, but if I was doing cases by hand I would seriously consider molten salt annealing. There are some pages online if you google it, as well as a thread in Accurateshooter. Appears to be much harder to screw up, and doesn't look to be terribly expensive to get started.

Feedback Score
    As someone who doesn't anneal brass, but dealt with annealing steel in industrial setting:
    It's simple, but not easy.

Heat and time is all there is, lower heat takes more time and vice versus within a certain temp range.
    The more consistent your process the better.

Like markm is saying, going off "feel" (flame location, time and speed of spin) will get you there and the visual cues can help ensure consistency. It will probably take time to get it down.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Slow flame.. like 7 or so seconds is ideal. It widens the margin for error. I watched some induction something or other method where the brass was glowing red in a second. Screw that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast