Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Cop kills women who called 911, another ND? (Minneapolis, MN)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    How much (if any) time do you think he should actually serve?
    I'm probably not the one to ask, but you did:

Here are the things I would consider: 1) he was sent to the location versus self-initiated; 2) by all reports the woman's approach took him by surprise; 3) there was apparently no malice involved.

Based on that - he needs to be decertified as an LEO in such a manner that he won't be able to get a job in some backwater community in another state. I'd go with time served and probation. The felony conviction alone is going to screw him up, plus he has to live with the knowledge that his error killed a woman.

As I said, the taxpayers of the community are going to pay the family of the woman for the city's negligence in hiring, retention and training.

I'm a softy, though.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-21-18 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Right after they instruct the jury can't consider a lesser charge?
    I only mentioned the most serious charge, but the article says he "was charged Tuesday with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter eight months after the case sparked protests, international outrage and the firing of the city’s police chief."

I'm well aware of the game of overcharging for politics and getting an acquittal by design. I don't know this city or DA but do not, as of now, see that as the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Here are the things I would consider: 1) he was sent to the location versus self-initiated; 2) by all reports the woman's approach took him by surprise; 3) there was apparently no malice involved.
    1: yes; 2: apparently but let's get full testimony; 3: I have no data either way.

This may be just a case of a completely incompetent and unsuitable person doing something predictably stupid because they were that far out of their ability. But someone is dead, and killing someone through incompetence is often a manslaughter conviction.

If the facts develop that he was simply incompetent and unsuitable, not malicious, it might be worth asking if someone in the hiring and retention chain of command should also face criminal charges for their own negligence resulting in an innocent person's death.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    3rd degree murder is a big stretch. Not likely. Manslaughter is more likely, but I wouldn’t discount the likelihood that he’ll plead down to something like negligent homicide.
    IIRC he was charged with both Murder 3 and Manslaughter. The murder 3 is the reach charge, manslaughter is the most likely conviction.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    IIRC he was charged with both Murder 3 and Manslaughter. The murder 3 is the reach charge, manslaughter is the most likely conviction.
    Thanks for the correction.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Based on that - he needs to be decertified as an LEO in such a manner that he won't be able to get a job in some backwater community in another state. I'd go with time served and probation. The felony conviction alone is going to screw him up, plus he has to live with the knowledge that his error killed a woman.

As I said, the taxpayers of the community are going to pay the family of the woman for the city's negligence in hiring, retention and training.

I'm a softy, though.
    I think he needs at least a bit of in prison time, but I'm a bit of a hardcase when it comes to that.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm a softy, though.

It will come down to perception of the threat once the case goes to trial. We won't learn the officer's perception until the defense presents it's case.

There is no question the officer should never work as a LEO again. If it is proven the officer engaged in a reckless act that caused the woman's death, and he is convicted of the appropriate criminal statute, he should serve a lengthy prison sentence.

A LEO should be held to a much higher standard of conduct than an untrained individual when it comes to the application of deadly force.
    Train 2 Win

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718