Thread: Whey, etc effects on LBM of older men (Study)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Whey, etc effects on LBM of older men (Study)

Study just done shows a multi ingredient formula of whey, creatine, D,fish oil, calcium, can greatly impact LBM in older adults thus potential preventing sarcopenia. It's very close to what I recommended for Sarcopenia a decade ago HERE, which covers more ground than this new study, but always good to see confirmation, an essential part of the scientific process:

A whey protein-based multi-ingredient nutritional supplement stimulates gains in lean body mass and strength in healthy older men: A randomized controlled trial

Abstract

Protein and other compounds can exert anabolic effects on skeletal muscle, particularly in conjunction with exercise. The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of twice daily consumption of a protein-based, multi-ingredient nutritional supplement to increase strength and lean mass independent of, and in combination with, exercise in healthy older men.

Forty-nine healthy older men (age: 73 ± 1 years [mean ± SEM]; BMI: 28.5 ± 1.5 kg/m2) were randomly allocated to 20 weeks of twice daily consumption of either a nutritional supplement (SUPP; n = 25; 30 g whey protein, 2.5 g creatine, 500 IU vitamin D, 400 mg calcium, and 1500 mg n-3 PUFA with 700 mg as eicosapentanoic acid and 445 mg as docosahexanoic acid); or a control (n = 24; CON; 22 g of maltodextrin). The study had two phases. Phase 1 was 6 weeks of SUPP or CON alone. Phase 2 was a 12 week continuation of the SUPP/CON but in combination with exercise: SUPP + EX or CON + EX. Isotonic strength (one repetition maximum [1RM]) and lean body mass (LBM) were the primary outcomes.

In Phase 1 only the SUPP group gained strength (Σ1RM, SUPP: +14 ± 4 kg, CON: +3 ± 2 kg, P < 0.001) and lean mass (LBM, +1.2 ± 0.3 kg, CON: -0.1 ± 0.2 kg, P < 0.001). Although both groups gained strength during Phase 2, upon completion of the study upper body strength was greater in the SUPP group compared to the CON group (Σ upper body 1RM: 119 ± 4 vs. 109 ± 5 kg, P = 0.039).

We conclude that twice daily consumption of a multi-ingredient nutritional supplement increased muscle strength and lean mass in older men. Increases in strength were enhanced further with exercise training.

Full Paper:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0181387
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Will:

Wow, I commend you - you were (are) well ahead of the curve! Even more than the excellent data and information, I like the way you present your thoughts in an easy to understand manner. Your organization of thought and the way you present your case, then back it up with data, is exceptional. Thanks so much!

Feedback Score
    Is there such a supplement available, or must one concoct one from scratch?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Will:

Wow, I commend you - you were (are) well ahead of the curve! Even more than the excellent data and information, I like the way you present your thoughts in an easy to understand manner. Your organization of thought and the way you present your case, then back it up with data, is exceptional. Thanks so much!
    Will try not to knock myself out with self serving pats on the back, but being ahead of the curve by decade(s) in this area is my thang.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Is there such a supplement available, or must one concoct one from scratch?
    No such product exists. The Life Extension, a company I have done consulting work for, has a whey, creatine, glutamine blend which gets you 2 of the important ingredients used in the study, and one that may help also:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamin...Powder-Vanilla

After that, you'll need to buy separately.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info: