Thread: Optic opinions?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Optic opinions?

Just picked up a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmore
    http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_b-...atch_rifle.php

Rifle is going to be used for medium range hunting and maybe some long range plinking. 250-1000 yards give or take. I was looking at picking up a scope for around 1K (possibly used) to put on her. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    - Pericles

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    In that dollar range your best best probably lies in Vortex. In the $1000 space they are really hard to beat. Your budget is right around their Gen 2 PST HD line.
    For example:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...c-mrad-reticle

Don't be put off by the $1200 price tag, you'll be able to find it cheaper. Ask around and someone will probably give you an Optics Planet coupon for 10%.
    Another option I've also used/owned is SWFA
    Their 3-9 HD FFP is a solid choice especially for the money. Take the balance of your thousand bucks and take a precision rifle course or buy some good ammo.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-t...iflescope.html

There are quite a few options out there, but you didn't specify a particular magnification, or if you want a FFP or SFP scope. I like the MRAD reticle on Vortex and the Mil-Quad reticle on SWFA scopes. Eye relief on both are really good for the price.
    I'd also recommend you invest in good set of matched rings. Vortex make some pretty heavy duty rings and I believe they are matched. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Do you want an illuminated scope?If not you can get a much better scope for less money. What kind of recital are you looking for? That too will determine what kind of cope that you may look at. Are you planning on doing much shooting at 1,000 yards? What is the realistic range that you will be shooting at the most.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    In that dollar range your best best probably lies in Vortex. In the $1000 space they are really hard to beat. Your budget is right around their Gen 2 PST HD line.
    For example:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...c-mrad-reticle
    I have an HMR and currently it has a Viper HS-T on it and it's okay. After playing with a 5-25x PST Gen 2 I have decided that is what I want on it moving forward, or maybe a Nightforce SHV.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I have an HMR and currently it has a Viper HS-T on it and it's okay. After playing with a 5-25x PST Gen 2 I have decided that is what I want on it moving forward, or maybe a Nightforce SHV.
    I have a Gen 2 2-12 PST on my SPR and it is my favorite scope I own. The eye relief is excellent and the magnification is perfect for an SPR. I have a Burris XTR II 5-25 on my DMR (308) and it's also a good scope, but I rarely if ever use it at full mag. 15-20 max. Higher than that, and it really requires some stability. I shoot mostly off bipod and bean bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't need an illuminated reticle. I already have a nightforce rail and lightweights rings in 30mm so was planing on getting a 30mm scope.
    Last edited by Dmashowtime; 07-21-17 at 03:39.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    - Pericles

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The PST gen 2 with the EBR-2C reticle is the way to go in that price range. If you can get a Razor Gen2 27x with the same reticle for $2,100 or less new and can afford it, I'd go that route.

Given how much you'll be spending to shoot 6.5CM, if you can't afford $2k on glass, you're not going to be shooting that rifle very often. (flame away, just my opinion)

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    A good quality scope for under $1k is not impossible to find. You can always go with the Trijicon Accupower : http://www.bearbasin.net/category_s/3504.htm

Vortex makes a few really good scopes under $1K also.

It it were me I would look at this scope for that rifle: http://www.bearbasin.net/category_s/3321.htm

It is a little over your budget but would be very nicely suited for that rifle and what you want to use it for.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston