Thread: Frozen free float barrel nut HELP???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Frozen free float barrel nut HELP???

I have a Knjghts free float barrel nut that will not budge. Any suggestions how to get it loosed?? Thanx!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It sound silly but stick in the freezer for an hour and then try it. Many times this will make them easier to remove. This is a trick I do with XD slides to allow for easier removal of the stock/OEM sights. Something I learned from my two uncles who were master mechanics.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wellll the freezer method didot work. Any other ideas???

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm not an expert with the AR platform yet (got an LMT piston on order and can't wait to tear it down to the very last pin, just for the knowledge, you see) but I am a machinist. Here's what I would do. Find yourself some KROIL penetrant (or 3-in-1 or your favorite) and let it soak overnight. Then, get your nut wrench and try to TIGHTEN the nut a little, and then try to loosen it. This may be just enough to break it loose. I hope it wasn't cross-threaded on there.
    Gunsmith/Machinist
    http://saberrivergunsmithing.com
    Cerakote™ Certified Applicator

"A gun in the hands of a free man frightens and angers the autocrat (government) not because of the power of the gun, but, rather the spirit of the man who holds it." - Anonymous

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    question for you gunsmiths, will PB Blaster hurt the finish of a rifle? I don't imagine it would hurt that type of anodized finish or parkerizing, but I've never tried.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It took an overnite soak in liquid wrench and alot of heat !!! But its off!!! Thanks to all!!!