Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3X CTR - Remington M700 SPS Tactical - Remington M700 Magpul - in.308

Feedback Score

Tikka T3X CTR - Remington M700 SPS Tactical - Remington M700 Magpul - in.308

First adventure into real bolt action other than my old trusty .243. I will list out what I am looking for in a rifle and what I plan to use it for. Any help or direction would be appreciated. With the Tx3 and the Magul version being "fairly" new there is not a lot of comparisons that I have been able to find. If you have other suggestions please feel free to throw those out as well. I am fairly set on the .308 caliber but I could possible be persuaded. I do not reload and don't see myself getting into that anytime soon.

I need to stay under $1,000 for the rifle. Optics budget will be at least the rifle budget.

What I am currently looking at:
    Tikka T3X CTR (Other than reading about these online I have no personal experience with Tikka, people seem to praise their quality) - 20" barrel, I think threaded but have not seen one in person yet.
    Remington M700 SPS Tactical - 20" barrel, threaded
    Remington M700 Magpul (The 5R barrel seems appealing) - 22" barrel, threaded, 5R rifling

What I want to do with it:
    I would like to get into mid range, maybe semi long range shooting soon but I would also like for it to be a good deer hunting rifle. I am looking at a multi-purpose rifle at least for the time being. If I decide I want to go full retard into long range I don't mind purchasing another rifle down the road if needed. On the hunting side I mostly will be hunting in central Texas so no super long across canyon shots or anything like that. With that said I have access to land that I can shoot out to 1k if I really wanted to although I probably will be happy killing paper/steel at less distance than that. I would prefer a box mag but it's not a deal breaker.

I do not need it to be a "tactical" gun, but my choices center around these coming with a factory threaded barrel which I like so that I can use my can when I want. I also dig the 20" barrel on the SPS and CTR. I would rather it not weight a crap ton but weight isn't a huge issue as my hunting consist of stand hunting or minimal walks after getting close in an ATV .

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 07-21-17 at 09:56.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In my opinion if someone is looking for a Remington 700, this is the most cost effective/bang for buck option available.

http://www.eurooptic.com/Remington-7...ter-Black.aspx

However, for your needs if you can find the 700 Magpul it may be better simply because it's already threaded. But length wise the 2" isn't going to make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Tikka, without a doubt.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shooting 2 Rem 700's in .308 for the past 25 years, still haven't worn out the barrels. Was looking for something different as reports of Remington's QC have been spotty since Freedom Group took over.

Got a Tikka CTR in 6.5C last summer and I really like it for a factory offering. Bolt and trigger are smooth and it's accurate in both the factory plastic stock and the MDT HS3 stock. Threaded barrel in 5/8-24 standard thread (not metric) so standard muzzle devices fit. The 70 degree bolt throw is very nice as well, get spoiled quick on that. Con against the Tikka is mag prices are stupid high, and magpul AICS mags DO NOT fit the Tikka, huge disappointment there.

I'd also throw out Bergara B-14 as one to look at if you want a Remington style action. Already has an adjustable cheek stock with mini chassis, threaded barrel, coned bolt, decent barrel and a timney trigger, not much left to upgrade there. I picked up one of their 6.5C LRP's the same time I got the Tikka and it has also been a great shooter.

The Bergara LRP also will use Magpul AICS magazines, I imagine the B-14 would as well. In fact that is what it was supplied with.
    Last edited by tigershilone; 07-23-17 at 02:44. Reason: Magazine info added

Feedback Score
    Well, I think I have decided I a, going to go with the Tikka CTR. Will hold one tomorrow and if it feels good it will have a new home.

Any last minute recommendations or thoughts let me know. Thanks for your help so far.
    Whiskey

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a current Tikka owner and a former Remmy 5r and 700 fanboy, I think in today's market, with your stated goals, stick with the Tikka. Remmy is way behind the cost benefit analysis of Tikka T3 let alone a CTR.

Feedback Score
    Pick up an extra mag. $35.00 is no big deal.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne View Post
    Pick up an extra mag. $35.00 is no big deal.
    For a Tikka CTR?!!? Do tell please, I'd love to pick up a couple at that price. Cheapest I have found factory metal CTR mags is used at $80.00 a pop.

The MDT polymer mags work in the MDT chassis well enough, and they are $40.00 each.

Edit to add MDT info.
    Last edited by tigershilone; 07-23-17 at 02:42. Reason: add \MDT info

Feedback Score
    just figured out that the Tikka CTR mags are $150. FFS, are they hand making these with sustainable non GMO organic fair trade metal? Seriously, how is there not an aftermarket option for these.
    Whiskey

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Not much better, they can be found for 75-80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast