Thread: Tikka T3X CTR - Remington M700 SPS Tactical - Remington M700 Magpul - in.308

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Tikka T3X CTR - Remington M700 SPS Tactical - Remington M700 Magpul - in.308

First adventure into real bolt action other than my old trusty .243. I will list out what I am looking for in a rifle and what I plan to use it for. Any help or direction would be appreciated. With the Tx3 and the Magul version being "fairly" new there is not a lot of comparisons that I have been able to find. If you have other suggestions please feel free to throw those out as well. I am fairly set on the .308 caliber but I could possible be persuaded. I do not reload and don't see myself getting into that anytime soon.

I need to stay under $1,000 for the rifle. Optics budget will be at least the rifle budget.

What I am currently looking at:
    Tikka T3X CTR (Other than reading about these online I have no personal experience with Tikka, people seem to praise their quality) - 20" barrel, I think threaded but have not seen one in person yet.
    Remington M700 SPS Tactical - 20" barrel, threaded
    Remington M700 Magpul (The 5R barrel seems appealing) - 22" barrel, threaded, 5R rifling

What I want to do with it:
    I would like to get into mid range, maybe semi long range shooting soon but I would also like for it to be a good deer hunting rifle. I am looking at a multi-purpose rifle at least for the time being. If I decide I want to go full retard into long range I don't mind purchasing another rifle down the road if needed. On the hunting side I mostly will be hunting in central Texas so no super long across canyon shots or anything like that. With that said I have access to land that I can shoot out to 1k if I really wanted to although I probably will be happy killing paper/steel at less distance than that. I would prefer a box mag but it's not a deal breaker.

I do not need it to be a "tactical" gun, but my choices center around these coming with a factory threaded barrel which I like so that I can use my can when I want. I also dig the 20" barrel on the SPS and CTR. I would rather it not weight a crap ton but weight isn't a huge issue as my hunting consist of stand hunting or minimal walks after getting close in an ATV .

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 07-21-17 at 09:56.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one