Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 62 grain BTHP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ride57 View Post
    Here is a interesting tidbit from Bill Wylde. I thought this was a longer reply, anyway he helped get the Canadians to 1000 yds with the 62 grn bullets. It is here in the archives to.
    As posted by Bill Wylde on THR:

Posted By: Bill Wylde
    Date: Thursday, 13 November 2003, at 8:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: .223 Wylde

The case dimensions of the Wylde reamer are that of one of the NATO prints. Not a thing tight about it. As I recall, there were two NATO prints in use. I don't recall the print number used, but do have it in old records somewhere.

Throating was about the only change. The decision was made to make the freebore diameter .2240" as a good bullet seal. That done, excess freebore made little difference to accuracy. One of the reasons the magazine length 69's shot so well in the chamber. It so happened that the 80 grain Sierra seated to the lands was about ideal at .2470" OAL. Simple luck.....All of it.

The initial reamer(designed in 1984)was mainly geared toward Canadian 5.56 ball, as I was experimenting with their issue ball for competitive purposes. This operation was slow in getting off the ground, and really didn't start happening until about 1990. The use of 5.56 NATO ball in Canada was a short lived affair. Handloads were allowed in about 1994.

Just prior to this time the AR's were gaining great strength in the U.S. The military finally got involved. The rest is history.

You might ask how the the 62 grain 5.56 ball worked for Canadian LR prone shooting to 1,000 yds? It was supersonic in barrels of 28", and longer. It also was very competitive with the 147 grain 7.62 ball in use there at the time. The wind drift differential at long range (7.62/5.56) was about 15% in favor of the 7.62.

Those days were very interesting.
    Thank you for this interesting addendum.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Who the hell has a 28 inch 5.56 barrel? Ha!

Feedback Score
    Has anyone trued out the BC on these? I am working up a load for these and am interested in what you are using in applied ballistics? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steelraven View Post
    Has anyone trued out the BC on these? I am working up a load for these and am interested in what you are using in applied ballistics? Thanks.
    I sent an email off to Hornady's tech support and the response was that the G1 for this bullet is .274.

Further I can tell you that at 3250 ASL, 80 degrees F, and 20% humidity I need 24 minutes to 880 yards and 35 minutes to 1,000 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3130 I believe at the time.
    Last edited by 308sako; 08-20-17 at 00:36.

Feedback Score

62 grain Hornady BTHP; Terminal performance + Gore Pics

I am happy to report that this bullet opens reliably and produces large cavitation in coyotes. Initial velocity was 2830/14.5" BCM ELW 1 in 7 twist.

Impact ranges 65 yards and 80 yards. DRT results as first round @ 65 yards was back of the head on exiting yote, nuff said. Second yote approaching caller stopped with a slight quartering away posture. Smashed both shoulders and left a 1.5" exit wound.

I was tempted to post pictures, but the more sensitive among us might not appreciate the gore.
    Last edited by 308sako; 09-02-17 at 19:07. Reason: adding pics in 2nd post

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    I am happy to report that this bullet opens reliably and produces large cavitation in coyotes. Initial velocity was 2830/14.5" BCM ELW 1 in 7 twist.

Impact ranges 65 yards and 80 yards. DRT results as first round @ 65 yards was back of the head on exiting yote, nuff said. Second yote approaching caller stopped with a slight quartering away posture. Smashed both shoulders and left a 1.5" exit wound.

I was tempted to post pictures, but the more sensitive among us might not appreciate the gore.
    Photos are fine, just put a gore-warning in your subject line if they're particularly bad. There are bunches of hunting and meat photos here.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love to do a water hug test for the hell of it.

Feedback Score

Pics

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post

308sako, Well done, thanks for the update. Thats solid performance and very promising. And thanks for the pics, because we all know a pic is worth a thousand words.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Why did you hurt that cute doggy?

BTW, I'm in north Georgia. I was driving through a small town a few days ago just after midnight. There was a coyote walking right through the middle of town. There were no people around, but it didn't seem to mind all the bright lights.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast