Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts Is Parts? Small Parts Quality

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Last week at work I installed two cheapo single point sling end plates on M&P15 Sport work rifles. The fit was sloppy, and when tightening, the socks would rotate annoyingly.
    Yesterday, I installed a BCM receiver extension and end plate on my wife's rifle. Much, much better fit, no problem with rotating.
    Quality parts are important.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My unsolicited opinion is that many manufacturers and designers of parts don't think things through enough, or make something different but not better. But different sells, better often gets ignored or drowned out by all the garbage that's touted for non-existent benefits whose only job is to part a customer from his money.

Simplicity always gets my vote. The market space is awash with parts that are different, but don't justify the expense, for they solve a problem very few people have. So far, I haven't seen much in the way of innovation that can really be called that, the AR is quite well developed and these days we're hard pressed to find more ways to improve it.

There are countless well made gimmicky, lifestyle fashion parts, and there's profit in this market, to be sure. When something is different but not better, it's fashion. Fashion changes, but rarely is "better" a part of it.

Quality to the exclusion of everything else is ultimately useless. Quality, combined with practicality and real innovation, is far more meaningful.
    Last edited by Duffy; 07-23-17 at 18:50.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I consider Vltor receiver extensions top notch. I have used them with great success on multiple builds. The only time I have had trouble with them (both carbine, and A5 length) is when trying to mate them to a Noveske QD end plate. For whatever reason, a Noveske QD end plate will not fit a Vltor receiver extension without some filing. At first I thought my Vltor carbine length receiver extension was machined wrong, then I tried to install one on an A5 receiver extension with the same results. Thinking the end plate was machined wrong, I took it back to the store I bought it from, and exchanged it for another, only to have the same results. I tried the Noveske QD end plate on a BCM, and a Spike's receiver extension I had laying around with no issues, so I figured it had something to do with the way Vltor machines their receiver extensions. At the end of the day, it only took a few minutes of filing on the Noveske part to get it to fit my Vltor part. I still regard both companies highly, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase their products again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    My unsolicited opinion is that many manufacturers and designers of parts don't think things through enough, or make something different but not better. But different sells, better often gets ignored or drowned out by all the garbage that's touted for non-existent benefits whose only job is to part a customer from his money.

Simplicity always gets my vote. The market space is awash with parts that are different, but don't justify the expense, fort they solve a problem nobody has. So far, I haven't seen much in the way of innovation that can really be called that, the AR is quite well developed and these days we're hard pressed to find more ways to improve it.

There are countless well made gimmicky, lifestyle fashion parts, and there's profit in this market, to be sure. When something is different but not better, it's fashion. Fashion changes, but rarely is "better" a part of it.

Quality to the exclusion of everything else is ultimately useless. Quality, combined with practicality and real innovation, is far more meaningful.
    I definitely agree, been in those shoes.

Feedback Score
    Look at the can market with all the garbage they offer. They are probably in the worst position that they have ever been for what they offer Vs what could be had with similar money and wait time for a decent product. Advertisement skewed reality, how sad for a market that still has potential.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Social media is a useful tool, we use it ourselves, but never as a tool to deceive. I think enough people have wised up to media blitz, to the point of it sometimes having the opposite effect. The pushback stems from over correction, when we see a flashy product video aimed at attracting attention, complete with music, sometimes with T&A, we automatically assume the product featured within is crap.

What I appreciate far more is straight talk, show me why it's better, and don't assume I know nothing about the system and its components and can't see through the vaunted "enhancements" and "improvements" this product brings to the system as marketing hype and weasel words, and show me empirical data. I'll buy it. If they rely on these gimmicks to fool folks that don't know better, they're in the fashion business.
    Last edited by Duffy; 07-23-17 at 19:03.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    I get a little bit of a chubby when I open LPKs with good phosphate finish on them. Don't know how to quantify it, but I don't know if it is part mental, but when parts have a nice finish, the job seems to go easier. That and as I get older I definitely start to like the devil I know rather than the one I don't when it comes to new parts.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Snip...
    off topic, Hammer_Man your inbox is full. Sent you a note via the email option.

Back on topic, just got my BCM castle nut in the mail yesterday and from looking at it, seems like a quality part. The proof will be in the pudding of course.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I get a little bit of a chubby when I open LPKs with good phosphate finish on them. Don't know how to quantify it, but I don't know if it is part mental, but when parts have a nice finish, the job seems to go easier. That and as I get older I definitely start to like the devil I know rather than the one I don't when it comes to new parts.
    The nicest LPK I ever bought was G&R Tactical's. Very nice finish to the parts with a solid feel. Had a Aero triggerless LPK one time and they looked.... cheap. Almost a glossy finish to the bolt paddle and safety.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have also noticed a difference in endplates when staking them. Cheap ones will crack and the staking nugget will break off.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post

Simplicity always gets my vote......
    Definitely agree with that, Genius is in it's simplicity. Suppose that's why the plain jane 6920
    is at the top of everyone's favorite list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast