Thread: Vortex 3 x 15 PST Gen II on DD Mk12 5.56

Feedback Score

Vortex 3 x 15 PST Gen II on DD Mk12 5.56

Trying to decide between MOA and Milrad on Vortex 3X15X44 PST Gen II; I will mount scope on DD Mk12 using Leupold Mk2 one piece base. Would welcome advice.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    That's my preferred power range for mk12 rigs. Offset irons or an RDS in conjenction work well.

1/4 moa is .262" at 100 yards and 1/2 moa is .524". .1 mils is 1cm at 100 meters.

Plenary of good info on the web between the two. Read up and pick what is most practical for your needs.

UPDATE: read this over on the hide. All the information you need. https://forum.snipershide.com/blogs/...-right-for-you
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 07-23-17 at 20:30.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have written off the whole mils aren't as fine as moa thing. Most mil scopes are 1/10 mil every click, which translates to .36" @ 100 yards. Compare that to the moa figures and it's a very trivial difference in my opinion. I think in inches and yards and have no problem using mils so I would take the whole "mils is only beneficial if you think in meters and cm" notion as well. More people use mils and therefore more people are familiar with it.

Feedback Score
    If it's your first scope like this, then it doesn't matter. But keep in mind that the system works best when you keep things consistent across the board (spotting scopes, range cards, targets, etc.) As you get to the higher end of things, MRAD gets more popular because it has more government contracts.

Personally, I went with MRAD because I like the consistency of measurement. While I live in inches/feet/yards/miles, nearly all of my shooting is done in centimeters/meters/kilometers. That works well on my maps, too.

I'm also a huge fan of Mildot Master, which is only made for MRAD scopes (though can account for MOA adjustments).
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regardless of what you use for measurement, (Metric, or Imperial systems)

MRAD/MILS are compatible. A Mil, is a Mil, is a Mil. If you take a shot at 25 Yards/Meters and miss by a Mil left, you adjust a Mil right. Same for if you miss by a Mil at 250, 500, 750, or any distance.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Used MIL scopes seem to move faster on the used market. All my scopes are MIL and I run my laser range finder in meters. I really dont think it matters, except for if you have a spotter or all your buddies have one type of scope and will give you corrections. As long as you don't get a MOA and MIL mix of reticle and knobs that is a hell I wouldn't want to figure out under pressure. I find MILs easier to communicate.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The biggest thing to consider is what your friends or spotters shoot. How is their equipment set up ? Does your spotter have a spotting scop in mils, or MOA? Example: yesterday I was shooting ELR with my buddy (1800 yds). He missed by 1/4 mil. That was an easy call to correct since I was using a mil spotting scope. Told him to hold 1/4 mil left, he hit. Second round hit at 1800 yds. If I'd have been looking through a MOA spotting scope, that would have been a tougher call to correct for. How does 1/4 mil at 1800 yds translate to MOA at that distance? Sure, you can do the math, but it would take a minute, and the chance for error is much higher.

I started out shooting MOA, but as I got more serious, and started shooting with other, better guys, they all shoot mils. I switched, and I haven't regretted it one bit. The whole "MOA is finer adjustments than mils" doesn't hold much water with me. A tenth of a milis about .33, a quarter MOA is .24. VERY few shooters or guns can consistently shoot the difference of .08 (eight hundreds of an inch). That's under the margin of error for guns, bullets, powders, human error etc.

Just my thoughts, from someone who had the exact same question a few years ago. There are many discussions in this topic over on SnipersHide. Many long distance shooters on that site.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your thoughtful advice based on experience; I will go the MIL route.

Feedback Score
    Still waiting on a Vortex Viper Gen II 3-15X44 FFP MRAD; plenty of MOA's but few MRAD's.