I was going to post this in the precision AR section since this is what Im cleaning but figured here might work. Im in no way new to guns, cleaning guns, shooting or much else really, Im getting on in years. My dad bought me my first gun for my 12th birthday, a Ruger Redhawk .357 (my how our world has changed) and Ive been hooked since and really even before that, hence the present, he knew I would love it.
Served 8 years in the Army as an 11B and carrued, shot and cleaned my share of weapons but Uve recently invested a sizable chunk of money in a few precision ARs and want to treat them well.
Both are SS barreled guns. One is a BCM 410SS 20" tube and the other is a 416 SS 18" from Centurion Arms.
Here is my cleaning schedule. Hoppes #9 soaked patches down the barrel using a Wheeler bore guide, Dewey ProShot ss rod. Push the patches through and remove at the muzzle, let soak while I clean everything else. When the rest of the gun is vleaned Ill run one more Hoppes soaked patch through and then use a nylon bore brush for about 10 to 15 strokes goung both directions. Ill then switch to my Dewey coated rod and either flannel patches or felt plugs ( that I make myself) and pudh through to the muzzle and remove, wiping the rod well between each pass until clean. A light coat of oil and done.
This is normal cleaning.
Am I wasting effort by removing patches at the muzzle? Am I damaging anything by pulling the brush ( or anythin for that matter) both directions through the bore?
Also, I do use a chamber brush on the chambers as that really the only way I know to get in there. Does anyone know of other ways? I bought a Pro Shot chamber kit that has a short rod with a black plastic " barrel" around it to git in the receiver, a brush, mop and another piece that I have no freakin idea what it is. It threads into the rod, about 1 1/2" long, about 1/2" diameter and has one large hole through the end of it. Please enlighten me.
Thanks for any insight.