Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred sling attachment method? Snap hooks, QD, other?

Feedback Score
    I prefer to use QD sling swivels and VTAC slings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I have developed a real disdain for hooks / QD's of any kind. I find them heavy, floppy, in the way, option-limiting, noisy, and in some cases the hooks are cheezy-assed dog leash stuff adapted to guns, made from breakage-prone Chinametal.

This disdain has completely supplanted my previous disdain for field-expedient measures with paracord. Now, rather than take the time to search, identify, find, order and pay for some store-bought thing, I make loops of paracord and lace the sling through it. I can put it where I want to, not where there's a metal loop or QD recep. It's light, flexible, quiet, and free, and works on everything everywhere (almost). I can put it through holes in a fore end. Through a FSB. On any kind of stock, solid or slider. I've done hundreds and hundreds of class guns this way and have it down pretty good with nothing in the way of student complaints.......
    I do this too. All my my sling mounts are a 10" long piece of paracord and the sling loops on my MOE stock. I don't chase the latest and greatest anymore. Paracord and the stocks sling loops attach a sling to each gun I own. Only exception is on two of my rifles I have the Magpul RSA when I was chasing the latest and greatest, and I just loop the sling through that instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So I also love the U Loop. However, I was running ULoops with a Vickers sling attached to my BREN 805 and had been doing transition drills (rifle to pistol) very consistently. At one point the ULOOP got "bound" up and actually came loose as I slung the rifle causing it to drop to my feet. That was my first and only instance of a Uloop coming loose and failing. I have since just added 550 cord to both sling attachments allowing the sling to move freely and not "bind" up. Still run ULOOPs on damn near all my platforms, but they have been attached to Paracord from now on. I also have some beat up U Loops I will try and take a picture of. My biggest concern is that while the plastic is strong, I've taken "chunks" out of the plastic when moving in and out of vehicles. Its not super concerning to me and I PMS gear, but I thought it was interesting and feel as though if a big enough chunk was removed it could potentially become an issue (simply solved by a 10$ replacement).

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    These have been working out really well for me also . They are strong, silent, they don't twist my slings up, and they are easy on and are easy off, but only when you want them to be. I have the front sling attachment on my Hodge upper going through a Wilson Combat QD swivel rail attachment. It adds a little weight, but it keeps the Blueforce Gear cable loop away from the hot barrel, the rifle hangs better at my side (no flop over) , does not abrade the cable like going through the rail slots or holes can, and I can put it exactly where *I* want it. The rear cable loop is attached through a rotating detachable eyelet installed into the Magpul SL stock's QD socket (it can rotate, but it doesn't tangle). As for slings, I prefer the Magpul MS1 series slings, their strong, long lasting and soft webbing material, comfortable, and they are easy and quick to adjust, they hold adjustment and they are low profile ( nothing hanging or dangling). The way I have the U-loops setup on my rifle, they move freely and don't tangle or twist my sling. One can also use the elastic covers that are sometimes used over H&K snap hooks over your U-loops , if you feel the need to. Have been using them for a while now, and IMHO it would be close to impossible for them to come loose on their own. Below is a link to a review of the BFG U-Loop. I have also noticed that the Proctor sling is now offered with QD swivels. I wonder why ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXcmmjXygE

https://www.blueforcegear.com/elastic-hook-cover.html

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

.photobucket.com/user/Biggy8/media/IMG_3561.jpg.html][/URL]
    Last edited by Biggy; 07-28-17 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Maybe I am too simplistic but I just run the sling through the stock on the rear and a Magpul paraclip on the front. Never had an issue with it coming loose, being too noisy, binding up, etc...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week's class:

Rattly, tangly, heavy, noisy, weak hook, attached to a style of FSB that can't take hard-use. Although in this case I have rectified the as-received condition of not very tight and not Loctited, it is still not positively located to the barrel and the first good bump will move it. I have seen one or more of these where one screw had popped its head—dunno if it happened upon installation, in the box on the way to the wholesaler, of if someone had checked it for tight and overtightened it. That’s the thing with these, the spindly-assed 6-32 is the worst possible thread choice. It is prone both to coming loose and to breaking, and easily overtorqued (= breaking). Then they make it with not one, not two, but three points from which to hang a sling, plus a rail for whatever. This is anything but robust. It's like putting a roll bar on your convertible by gluing it to the cloth.

In this pic you can see where at least I am going to get the sling off this ersatz FSB. A short length of paracord knotted on each end, through small holes in the hand guard. It won’t melt short of multiple mag dumps on auto. And when he drops the carbine to do a transition or whatever, the FSB won’t be moved.

Same gun, rear end. I don’t know whose sling was but the hooks looked to me like dogleash stuff, inappropriately retasked. I like a student to have some means of quickly unhooking the sling so I left the front one but the rear one went in the trash. It had been hooked to the standard bottom sling point, We routinely take those off and discard them although I confess I find them good sometimes for the offhand to cradle the toe of the stock when shooting prone.

Ran into one I did a couple years ago. Not claiming a round count between then and now but you can see the paracord is pretty smoke up from gas leakage at barrel / FSB and gas tube pin hole.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Personally I cannot abide a single point sling mounted to receiver end plate. Picking it up from “hung”, I always get a handful of sling and hook. This guy was having the same problem, and this is by far not the worst such setup:

Being that he had the CAA battery-compartment saddle on the slider, I needed a place to get my paracord through so I added a few holes with the help of a torch and a nail. Crude but effective 

Finally, we discarded the rear hook of the MagPul sling and laced the sling directly through the paracord loop. I think MagPul has some of the smartest people in the industry not to mention the coolest but this is not my personal favorite sling and I think every one I’ve worked with has “lost” the rear hook section. I keep the front one as the “way out”.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have two padded VCAS and one padded VTAC, all with QD swivels. They have worked well for me so far. I prefer the mounting points to be rotation limited.

ETA: The U loop looks interesting. I might try those out next time I buy a sling.
    Last edited by SteveL; 07-28-17 at 11:45.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Where can I get an appropriate sling for an A1?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been using QD attachments and a VTac sling for years on Patrol, many many miles on foot and no issues...your foot falls are going to be much louder than any noise these or hooks will generate. Unless your a ninja...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast