Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred sling attachment method? Snap hooks, QD, other?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

What is your preferred sling attachment method? Snap hooks, QD, other?

I'm in the process of building a Block II clone, and plan on purchasing a Vickers sling to go with it. I've never purchased my own sling before, as I've always used the crappy 2 pointers that the unit armorer provided me. Being that I'm trying to build a Block II rifle, I've considered using a CQD endplate, and a CQD picatinny sling mount. They appear to be top notch components, but I'm concerned that the required speed hooks would produce a lot of noise. I notice a lot of guys use QD mounts on their slings, but I'm not sure they are as secure as speed hooks, or anymore quiet. Does anybody care to chime in with their preferred method? Please explain your reason(s) for selecting what you did, and what you like/don't like about your setup. I'm looking for those with first hand experience to chime in. No hearsay please..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use HK style hooks clipped to paracord loops on magpul sling mounts on the hand guard and ambi-sling mount endplates. The paracord insulates the hook from the mount and minimizes rattle but does give the sling a bit more freedom to twist, but i've never found it to be a problem.

I have a QD mount on my KMR and it has not been a problem yet and has little to no rattle, but I only run it because it was free with the rail and at the time I was not aware of anyone who made a keymod sling loop.

I am not HSLD though. Just a regular citizen who has carbines for defensive purposes.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

What is your preferred sling attachment method? Snap hooks, QD, other?

While I like and have used the Vickers sling with the QD attachments, I've recently gone the Proctor sling route. I am fortunate enough to be part of weekly training regiment with some guys and I find the simplicity of the sling and the paracord attachment system more versatile and preferable with my LW 16" and SBRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 07-23-17 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have developed a real disdain for hooks / QD's of any kind. I find them heavy, floppy, in the way, option-limiting, noisy, and in some cases the hooks are cheezy-assed dog leash stuff adapted to guns, made from breakage-prone Chinametal.

This disdain has completely supplanted my previous disdain for field-expedient measures with paracord. Now, rather than take the time to search, identify, find, order and pay for some store-bought thing, I make loops of paracord and lace the sling through it. I can put it where I want to, not where there's a metal loop or QD recep. It's light, flexible, quiet, and free, and works on everything everywhere (almost). I can put it through holes in a fore end. Through a FSB. On any kind of stock, solid or slider. I've done hundreds and hundreds of class guns this way and have it down pretty good with nothing in the way of student complaints.......

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I really like the Tactical Link QD Mount

with the Convertible Bungee Sling.

Feedback Score
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Front looped through a pair of MLOK slots, and the rear looped through the QD socket and footman's loop of the stock. Allows for more flexibility than an anti-rotation QD mount, the attachment method is self-tightening when in use, and they're more or less completely silent. Only downside is that it is not QD, but that's not one of my requirements, anyway.
    Last edited by essjay; 07-23-17 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    I have a Blue Force Gear Vickers Padded, a Haley D3 sling, and a Proctor WOTG minimalist sling. I find myself using the Proctor sling by default, very light and functional.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post

Front looped through a pair of MLOK slots, and the rear looped through the QD socket and footman's loop of the stock. Allows for more flexibility than an anti-rotation QD mount, the attachment method is self-tightening when in use, and they're more or less completely silent. Only downside is that it is not QD, but that's not one of my requirements, anyway.

These have been working out really well for me also . They are strong, silent, they don't twist my slings up, and they are easy on and are easy off, but only when you want them to be. I have the front sling attachment on my Hodge upper going through a Wilson Combat QD swivel rail attachment. It adds a little weight, but it keeps the Blueforce Gear cable loop away from the hot barrel, the rifle hangs better at my side (no flop over) , does not abrade the cable like going through the rail slots or holes can, and I can put it exactly where *I* want it. The rear cable loop is attached through a rotating detachable eyelet installed into the Magpul SL stock's QD socket (it can rotate, but it doesn't tangle). As for slings, I prefer the Magpul MS1 series slings, their strong, long lasting and soft webbing material, comfortable, and they are easy and quick to adjust, they hold adjustment and they are low profile ( nothing hanging or dangling).

Last edited by Biggy; 07-28-17 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post

+1 for the U-Loop. I just switched from the HK snap hooks to U-Loops on my Scar. They are quieter and don't scratch the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Ned Christiansen I'm all for a reliable, cheap, and effective DIY solution. Care to post a few example pics of your work?
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 07-23-17 at 18:41.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast