Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which AR next?

Feedback Score

Which AR next?

I am having a terrible time deciding between the BCM RECCE-16 KMR-A and Daniel Defense DDM4 V7. I have been wanting the BCM for the longest time but I have friends with Daniel Defense and and they are rock solid. Any input on either model would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's a tough one.

I like the KMR, I had two of the original magnesiums and have two of the KMR-As on the way to replace them. I think the original alloy was too soft.

If it's really a RECCE and oriented more toward precision, I'd go with a BCM SS410 upper, or the new BCM KD4 16" upper. It has a 1 in 7.7" twist barrel that's supposed to be best with MK262. But... I've been shooting MK262 through BCM 1 in 8" twist stainless barrels for a long time and have never had one not stabilize a 77gr SMK. The chrome lined BCM barrels I have shot were not very accurate as far as chrome lined barrels go, but I do like the SS410 barrels they sell.

I really not too fond of the BCM or Daniel Defense furniture and would likely replace either with Magpul CTR and MOE grip.

If the BCM comes with their PNT trigger it will have a better trigger, as far as I know Daniel Defense still ships with a regular trigger.

I have seen too many BCM lowers that will not accept Gen M3 Pmags to want a BCM lower as Gen M3 Pmags is all that is available to me (without buying mags).

Me? I'd buy a BCM KD4 upper and put it on an LMT lower with your choice of plastic and a Geissele SSA or SSA-E.

Feedback Score
    What do you already have?

If it is already a quality AR, like both of the ones you mentioned, why not take that $1k+ and spend it on a good training course?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

If it is already a quality AR, like both of the ones you mentioned, why not take that $1k+ and spend it on a good training course?
    This. Between the two, I'd lean bcm, but neither is wrong.

Being able to run 1 gun well beats the crap out of a show room when you can't find the colt catch.
    Running your shit hard comes before buying more shit.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    That's a tough one.

I have seen too many BCM lowers that will not accept Gen M3 Pmags to want a BCM lower as Gen M3 Pmags is all that is available to me (without buying mags).
    Windowed ones too?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Training...

MM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregBFL View Post
    I am having a terrible time deciding between the BCM RECCE-16 KMR-A and Daniel Defense DDM4 V7. I have been wanting the BCM for the longest time but I have friends with Daniel Defense and and they are rock solid. Any input on either model would be greatly appreciated.
    Which barrel? The DDM4V7 has standard or light weight barrels. All DD barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined (HF CL). BCM has many more choices in barrels. A fair feature comparison with Daniel Defense would include a BCM BFH Mid-Length 16" or a BCM BFH Enhanced Light Weight (Mid-length) with a BCM Bolt Carrier Group.

If you want a stainless barrel, go BCM.

You also have to compare the hand guard. One is Mlok and the other is Keymod.

Tough choice. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd probably pick the DD because I already have two BCM rifles that I love and want to own a complete DD someday too.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-24-17 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post

I got into handgun competition starting in the late 70's, early 80's and then migrated into precision rifle competition. For reasons unknown, I never purchased an AR even though I've wanted one for quite a long time. Not knowing if I would like the platform, I purchased what most would consider a "entry level" rifle earlier this year. I live in Cocoa, FL and Diamondback firearms is literally 10 minutes from where I live so I picked up one of their DB15 rifles. It has a 16” 4150 Chrome-Moly, Melonite Coated barrel with a 1:8 RH twist. Bolt carrier is shot-peened, MPI Mil Spec 8620 Melonite Coated with 158 Carpenter Steel Bolt. Handguard is a 15" free float. I did not care for the stock so I replaced it with a BCM Gunfighter SOPMOD and added a BCM vertical grip (short). For optics I went with the Primary Arms 1-6X24mm SFP Gen III ACSS on an American Defense Q.D. Scope Mount.

I was a little nervous going with the Diamondback but I have to say it has been functioning flawlessly for the 1K rounds I have put through it. It has consistently shot MOA or slightly under with match ammunition so I really can't find anything to complain about. That being said, I have got the AR bug and want to pick up a higher end rifle. I don't want to break the bank because I would like to migrate into the AR-10 platform as well. As far as training is concerned, yes, that is in the works as well. I am open to travel but I would prefer to stay in Florida if at all possible. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have thought about taking one of Frank Proctor's classes because he is in Alabama and I have family not too far from his place. I'm not sure about it though because I am a Gator and he is an Alabama fan..... LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Which barrel? The DDM4V7 has standard or light weight barrels. All DD barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined (HF CL). BCM has many more choices in barrels. A fair feature comparison with Daniel Defense would include a BCM BFH Mid-Length 16" or a BCM BFH Enhanced Light Weight (Mid-length) with a BCM Bolt Carrier Group.

If you want a stainless barrel, go BCM.

You also have to compare the hand guard. One is Mlok and the other is Keymod.

Tough choice. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd probably pick the DD because I already have two BCM rifles that I love and want to own a complete DD someday too.
    I want a hammer forged barrel but I don't want a light weight (pencil) barrel. I have had hunting rifles with "lightweight" barrels in the past and found that there accuracy deteriorated after the barrel heated up after firing several rounds. I'm not sure if technology has gotten better with lightweight barrels but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy over a few ounces. The same goes for barrel length I would rather go with a 16" vs 14 1/2", again I would prefer to have a little higher velocity rather than save a few ounces. Same thing goes for the hand guard, I want something in the 13 1/2 to 15" range because of the way I hold the rifle.

17K, thanks for the information and I will definitely be looking into the specifics in your post! I am trying to learn as much as possible when it comes to AR's but I have a long way to go. I've spent a lot of time researching twist rate and right, wrong or indifferent I tend to lean towards the 1:8 twist rate because it seems to split the difference. If not that I would go for the 1:7 because I prefer the higher grain bullets. The same goes for handguns, in 9mm I prefer 147 grain.
    Last edited by GregBFL; 07-24-17 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    1/8 will stabilize anything you can fit in the magazine.

I like accuracy and it sounds like you do too. I'd look hard at a BCM SS410 upper. I've three and they were all hammers with MK262.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast