Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SEAL's to admit women to BUDs

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Civilians always seem to miss the point that assessment and selection for whichever organization is still nowhere near as difficult as real world operations. Sure, swimming in 50° water sucks. Not sleeping sucks. Being run into the ground sucks.

Add in the factor of 75+ lbs of equipment and zero option for failure and it doesn't just suck anymore. It's real. You die and your team dies.

If a woman manages to pass, it will be by the bare minimum standard. If that's what we want at the very tip of the spear, so be it. Otherwise the Commander in Chief and SECDEF need to stop the stupidity.
    This has been my point all along. Just because they can (apply and possibly pass), doesn't mean they should. The training and deployment cycle is far harder than any school I have ever been to.

I will wager good money that if any female passes the gate (BUDS, the Q), they will have a much higher attrition (in the deployment/training cycle) because of injury, ultimately be non-deployable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    This has been my point all along. Just because they can (apply and possibly pass), doesn't mean they should. The training and deployment cycle is far harder than any school I have ever been to.

I will wager good money that if any female passes the gate (BUDS, the Q), they will have a much higher attrition (in the deployment/training cycle) because of injury, ultimately be non-deployable.
    Exactly.

Furthermore, people don't seem to understand that BUDs is just the first step in a very long process of becoming a SEAL and earning the Trident. But of course understanding that would require picking up a book so I guess that's out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    is it really necessary to be able to hump/swim XXX distance? We have determined that it isn't". Then the standards don't get "lowered" per se, they are merely changed to reflect "modern military requirements" or some other bullshit.
    Then they are easier for everyone. Many who couldn't pass before, can now pass. Unit is no longer elite. Unit is above average and elite mixed in....I hope the above average are trying to up their game in the mean time.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    My son in law is an Israeli SEAL, we talked about this.

His response was, a lot can happen on an open ocean swim.

But he vowed, no women will ever be an Israeli SEAL'.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    My son in law is an Israeli SEAL, we talked about this.

His response was, a lot can happen on an open ocean swim.

But he vowed, no women will ever be an Israeli SEAL'.
    Unless they lower the standards and or find some other way to "assist" them in passing BUD's and what follows, neither will there ever be a female USN SEAL. I have no doubts there's a variety places and MOS women can be be considerable value to the mil, being the weakest link in our tip O the spear units is not one of them.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you think men that are captured by arabs aren't raped, then you don't live in the Middle East.
    Read a book by some SAS bloke would was in A Stan and he went into some detail on that. He was there during the Russian invasion.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Then they are easier for everyone. Many who couldn't pass before, can now pass. Unit is no longer elite. Unit is above average and elite mixed in....I hope the above average are trying to up their game in the mean time.
    Am I nuts, or why don't we simply make the rec of M/F that go through basic the same and see what happens. If the women can't even survive basic doing exactly what the men do, WTF does anyone expect them to get through far more elite level training? They raised the standards a tad in the Marines and the failure rate was terrible:

"Six months after the Pentagon ordered all combat jobs open to women, seven female Marines are either serving in those posts or waiting to serve, and 167 are performing noncombat duties in front-line units, according to new data obtained by The Associated Press.

The numbers underscore the difficulty of integrating women into the demanding jobs, and reflect the small number of women who want to be combat Marines and can pass the new tough physical standards required to qualify. So far this year those standards have weeded

out most female hopefuls and have also disqualified some men.

Six out of seven female recruits — and 40 out of about 1,500 male recruits — failed to pass the new regimen of pull-ups, ammunition-can lifts, a 3-mile run and combat maneuvers required to move on in training for combat jobs, according to the data.

Failing the tests, taken about 45 days into basic training, forces recruits into less physically demanding Marine jobs.

The high failure rate for women recruits, however, raises questions about how well integration can work, including in Marine infantry units where troops routinely slog for miles carrying packs weighed down with artillery shells and ammunition, and at any moment must be able to scale walls, dig in and fight in close combat."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ess-standards/

So lets allow them to waste space and resources and time in BUD's ?!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Remember Jessica Lynch?
    That was going to be my response to brother Irish, iirc she had massive internal injuries and is permanently disabled from repeated sexual assaults and torture.

If you think men that are captured by arabs aren't raped, then you don't live in the Middle East.
    Amazing is it not that people still don't know who we're dealing with after all these centuries.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234