Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When dimpling/pinning a barrel for gas block install should I worry about bare metal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

When dimpling/pinning a barrel for gas block install should I worry about bare metal?

When I drill the dimple in the barrel and the hole for the pin (SLR GB7-Pin gas block, DD S2W barrel), should I worry about coating the exposed metal with anything before installing the gas block? Or is the exposed metal on these spots on the barrel not an issue?

Feedback Score
    A quality job would not leave any bare metal uncoated. For a hobby gun, most wouldn't know or care. For something other than that, a coating would be preferred.

Feedback Score
    This was my suspicion also, and I'm not building a hobby gun. Looking for something to use hard alongside my Colt SBRs and BCM carbines. What kind of coating would be recommended? Cerakote? This is my first complete-from-the-ground-up build.

Feedback Score
    Just a basic park for most.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Could one just park the dimples? Or do you have to do the whole thing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Which company drills the front sight and barrel for taper pins, then removes the front sight, phosphates the barrel to coat the taper pin holes, and then reinstalls the front sight again?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unless I was planning on amphibious assaults, I wouldn't worry. Besides.. when you crank down the set screw you are going to damage any finish anyway.

Feedback Score
    If it bothered you that much you could put a dab of some kind of enamel paint in each of the dimples then let it dry.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put a drop of loctite down the hole in the gas block before tightening the set screw. The stuff spreads and will cover the exposed metal. That said, a whole lot of weapons from pistols to machine guns have somehow managed to function in a whole lot of wars with much of the bluing or park worn away.

Feedback Score
    When I originally read the OP's post, for whatever reason I was thinking about 6920 cut downs that sometimes included some profile changes and shaved FSBs, not what was actually what was posted though. What I was talking about gets the park. After reading that again, I agree that the non exposed areas do not have the same requirement.
    Sorry for any confusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast