Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When dimpling/pinning a barrel for gas block install should I worry about bare metal?

Feedback Score

When dimpling/pinning a barrel for gas block install should I worry about bare metal?

When I drill the dimple in the barrel and the hole for the pin (SLR GB7-Pin gas block, DD S2W barrel), should I worry about coating the exposed metal with anything before installing the gas block? Or is the exposed metal on these spots on the barrel not an issue?

Feedback Score
    A quality job would not leave any bare metal uncoated. For a hobby gun, most wouldn't know or care. For something other than that, a coating would be preferred.

Feedback Score
    This was my suspicion also, and I'm not building a hobby gun. Looking for something to use hard alongside my Colt SBRs and BCM carbines. What kind of coating would be recommended? Cerakote? This is my first complete-from-the-ground-up build.

Feedback Score
    Just a basic park for most.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Could one just park the dimples? Or do you have to do the whole thing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Which company drills the front sight and barrel for taper pins, then removes the front sight, phosphates the barrel to coat the taper pin holes, and then reinstalls the front sight again?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Which company drills the front sight and barrel for taper pins, then removes the front sight, phosphates the barrel to coat the taper pin holes, and then reinstalls the front sight again?
    This is a good point, if your locktighring your screws, nothing's getting in there.
    Coat it if your feeling froggy, but if you oil and seal it, it will last forever.
    Even if you park it, when you torque down the screws, that park is going away.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-24-17 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never seen a gas block dimple or pin hole coated. Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense or BCM. FN SCAR doesn't. AKs don't. Just put some good CLP on before cranking the screws down or putting the pins in.

I guess you could cold blue it first, but that only provides minimal protection.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-24-17 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    EXACTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unless I was planning on amphibious assaults, I wouldn't worry. Besides.. when you crank down the set screw you are going to damage any finish anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast