The following is my opinion, and I'm not a SME:

Any response to a scenario that involves the possibility of fighting is generally dependent on the situation. Just like combat, just like traffic stops, just like getting mugged; even the best laid plan never survives contact with the [perpetrator]. Do what will give yourself the most options. If that means sneaking from one area of your house to another, do it. If that means sheltering in place, do it. Could you scare an intruder away by making a lot of noise? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he/she is "altered" enough that he/she may want to pop a couple shots in the direction from where he/she heard the noise. In any situation where the possibility exists that you might have to defend yourself, there is never only one right answer.

Again, in my opinion, develop your own "tactical toolbox." Train in a set of fundamentals that you can tailor to fit together in order to accomplish a plan or to react to any changes in that plan. There's nothing at all wrong with learning how to clear your own house. There's nothing at all wrong with establishing safe hiding spots. The most important part? TRAIN. There's nothing worse than someone watching a couple youtube videos, but the first time he or she ever tries to put the techniques into practice is when he or she hears the proverbial bump-in-the-night. I'm not saying that you have to go to a CQB school or anything, but at least try it for yourself before you actually need it. Learn a wide-range of tactics and techniques. Practice as many of them as you can, as regularly as you can. Develop the muscle memory--just like when you shoot.

One last piece. It may seem somewhat silly, but maybe try to run some drills--not unlike conducting fire drills. Have your "perp" act out a B & E, but shoot a video from his or her point of view. See what they see. During the next drill have him or her follow you around, recording, to pinpoint any weak spots in your tactics or techniques. Have him or her static in different areas recording your techniques to spot any mistakes from that point of view.

Bottom line, don't just speculate; formulate and practice.