Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are to the point of a home invasion and are taken by surprise you are fooked.

If you have reaction time, nimble pistol, violence of action, retake initiative.

If you have a woman/life partner tell her to set up.a fixed fighting position and figure 8 anything coming through the door that doesn't sound off who they are. Thats when I might consider a rifle. Maybe.

A lot of people dont know how HI works and think they are going to be like Sailor Moon where time stops as you magically transform from Joe Sixpack into Suburban Commando. Like they are just gonna wait for you to do a lock and load montage.

Newp. Neeewp.

Honestly a Glock 17 with + mag topped off with 147 +P HST and a surefire will be more than enough.

Honestly your woman/life partner is gonna freak, kids are gonna freak, and you will go into oh shit mode if you havent adequately practiced clearing your own home.

GTF425 is absolutely right in that 99% of people are better off securing in place. Then a Rifle might be better. Advise 911 of your situation and location of room

If Roscoe and the Fellas wanna fatal funnel into your bedroom door, oh well.
    If they snatch and dash and you didnt have to kill nobody or place your family in any danger of crossfire, that's good too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

A lot of people dont know how HI works and think they are going to be like Sailor Moon where time stops as you magically transform from Joe Sixpack into Suburban Commando. Like they are just gonna wait for you to do a lock and load montage.
    That's why I plan to set my MOLON LABE deluxe Punisher skull tactical cap right next to my HD weapon. It will transform me into Bruce Willis in "Last Man Standing" and I will be able to waste rooms full of perps without reloading or even aiming.

Seriously, though, until your HD situation comes up, you won't know if you can stay in place and call 911 or if you are already being fired upon by the time you realize that Mr. Dead invited guests into your house.

I realize a long gun isn't ideal for most people within the home, but if the day comes it seems to fit the needs of the moment then I want to be ready.

Yes, I know, the man who only owns one gun always knows which gun is his "go-to" weapon, but there is not one single weapon appropriate to all scenarios.

I live on a ranch near the border. There is at least a small possibility that I might face "invaders" outside my home and at rifle distances. Although I might seek to avoid engagement in a lot of scenarios (due to the inherent possibility of some prosecutor being able to say my actions did not constitute a "good shoot"), I also know that until the actual situation presents itself you are not going to know which bowl of deep kimchee you are in. That's why I always have my Glock on my hip and my AR either in the truck or handy in the house.

Everyone has to evaluate their situation for themselves.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-15-17 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post

I live on a ranch near the border. There is at least a small possibility that I might face "invaders" outside my home and at rifle distances.
    Deterrence works.

Have someone make you numerous 2/3 size IPSC target out of 1/2" boiler plate. Place them on posts at your max effective range around your perimeter and shot them full of holes.

Put signs on the back 'Rancher and Hands Armed, You're In Range' in Inglés and Espanol.

I am semi-serious, actually post 'Rancher and Hands Armed, No Trespassing' signs in both Spanish and English at regular intervals as a passive measure and then continue your training and readiness.

The boiler plate IPSC targets with warnings would be more fun, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Deterrence works.

Have someone make you numerous 2/3 size IPSC target out of 1/2" boiler plate. Place them on posts at your max effective range around your perimeter and shot them full of holes.
    I did something similar to your first suggestion. I hesitate to say what it is and I'd rather not go into why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Francotirador en Servicio.
    Amanecer hasta el Anochecer"

Feedback Score
    My son has planned out my alarm by conviently leaving his toys on the floor. I know I can’t walk through the house at night without stepping on something that makes noise, or makes me yell a four letter word.

Feedback Score
    I keep an Hk p2000, spare mag, surefire 6p with led drop in, and a ski mask on my night stand. I'm much more efficient with a pistol in tight spaces than a rifle. I keep a loaded long gun outside the safe 5 ft from the bed as an insurance policy. The ski mask is purely psychological. If you buy this ticket, your gonna take this ride.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyshitbird View Post
    I keep an Hk p2000, spare mag, surefire 6p with led drop in, and a ski mask on my night stand. I'm much more efficient with a pistol in tight spaces than a rifle. I keep a loaded long gun outside the safe 5 ft from the bed as an insurance policy. The ski mask is purely psychological. If you buy this ticket, your gonna take this ride.
    Sounds like a decent plan...well...right up until you get shot in the face while dicking with putting on a ski mask anyways.

Feedback Score
    Not my style. Wool is way to itchy.

IMG_5645.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lets stick to the M4/AR scenario. Everything else will vary based on home layout and your own lifestyle.

Rifles are in the closet 2ft away. Loaded but unchambered with extra mags. I don't care if the badguy hears me chambering a round or not. 2-story house; stairs up are good view from my room. My windows are facing the street/driveway so I can see if there's an unknown vehicle. I've practiced clearing the house multiple times.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast