Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, do those steel door jams that only let the door swing out not in, make a big difference? Seems like those and reinforced glass or bars on windows would stop most of the home robberies

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Just curious, do those steel door jams that only let the door swing out not in, make a big difference? Seems like those and reinforced glass or bars on windows would stop most of the home robberies

If the door opens outward the hinges are available for attack. Plus on a residence there is usually a storm door of some sort that would make an outward opening door awkward.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If the door opens outward the hinges are available for attack. Plus on a residence there is usually a storm door of some sort that would make an outward opening door awkward.
    Ok, thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    What are you referring to by steel door jams, anti-kick plates?

The vast majority of home invasion and burglary crews gain access to their victims by simply pushing in or kicking in the front door. This is due to the majority of homes and apartments having industry standard builder grade (read that as absolute shit) hollow core doors, wood door frames, and 2" screws in the door's hinges going into that thin flimsy wood door frame.

To see if your front door is hollow or filled with styrofoam simply remove the door's peep hole and you can see what the guts are made from. Simply by removing those short hinge screws and replacing them with 4"+ wood screws and installing reputable anti-kick plate folks would greatly increase their door's strength.

I also replace any door with glass windows/panels.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Yes, I navigate my house in the dark regularly, and it is dangerouse. With two young boys who love things like legos, well let's just say the peep would be just as likely to break his neck as he would get shot.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Because of the kids, you DON'T keep a round in the chamber. That means if you hear glass breaking at 3 am, you've got to chamber a round as quietly as possible

Did you check the flashlight batteries with a quick burst before you went to bed (because you dang sure can't check it now)?

How close is the carbine to your bed? Do you have to get up and open the safe while you hope the perp doesn't pick your room to invade first? Or do you keep your combat weapon nearby?

Has wifey told you "You're not keeping that thing right by the bed at night." ?

Is it handy enough that you can get to it silently?

Let's hope you've had some kind of training in silently patrolling your residence at night.

Have you ever simply just practiced navigating your residence at night in the pitch black without bumping into walls or tripping over things? Maybe you better do it regularly enough to get good at it.

Does any part of your gun rattle? Do your house shoes make enough noise on your tile floors that you give away your position?
    Things that I don't worry about are in red. If I get wind of an intruder, being all silent ninja is not part of the plan. The plan is to light up the inside of the house, advance aggressively to the threat, and get rid of it. I want the intruder to know someone is coming for him. If he has half a lick of sense he'll leave before I get to him.

Sneaking around my own house? I prefer violence of action. The faster I win, the better.

According to my state's law, an unlawful intruder in my home or MV is presumed to be there to inflict death or severe injury to the occupants. I'm also immune from civil liability in any justifiable shoot.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-19-18 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    Things that I don't worry about are in red. If I get wind of an intruder, being all silent ninja is not part of the plan. The plan is to light up the inside of the house, advance aggressively to the threat, and get rid of it. I want the intruder to know someone is coming for him. If he has half a lick of sense he'll leave before I get to him.

Sneaking around my own house? I prefer violence of action. The faster I win, the better.

According to my state's law, an unlawful intruder in my home or MV is presumed to be there to inflict death or severe injury to the occupants. I'm also immune from civil liability in any justifiable shoot.
    Rushing towards at least one home invader is how to get killed.

Hold. Let them step in front of your muzzle if they want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Rushing towards at least one home invader is how to get killed.
    If you do so blindly without a plan, when you don't have home court advantage and legal protection, yes. Otherwise, no.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    If you do so blindly without a plan, when you don't have home court advantage and legal protection, yes. Otherwise, no.
    So is this theory, or have you had experience in this aspect of HD?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    So is this theory, or have you had experience in this aspect of HD?
    I'm not here for approval.

If you want to hunker down and let intruders have the run of your place, far be it from me to stop you. But I'm not you, my house isn't your house, and I couldn't care less if others agree with my intentions.

But now I'm curious. How many home invasions have you defended against? Seems you fancy yourself some sort of SME on this.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 10-20-18 at 20:19.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast