Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Real talk dudes.

Why are we running a long gun inside a house in lieu of a pistol?
    Real question: would you rather have a rifle or pistol in a firefight?

Feedback Score
    In a 2000 sq ft ranch with lots of tight corners.....a pistol in one hand and an led light in the other. A man with a rifle has no hands.

1. Weapon retention and maneuverability
    2. Ability to point shoot
    3. Ability to identify your target without flagging it.

☝️Based on my level of training

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    That's why I plan to set my MOLON LABE deluxe Punisher skull tactical cap right next to my HD weapon. It will transform me into Bruce Willis in "Last Man Standing" and I will be able to waste rooms full of perps without reloading or even aiming.

Seriously, though, until your HD situation comes up, you won't know if you can stay in place and call 911 or if you are already being fired upon by the time you realize that Mr. Dead invited guests into your house.

I realize a long gun isn't ideal for most people within the home, but if the day comes it seems to fit the needs of the moment then I want to be ready.

Yes, I know, the man who only owns one gun always knows which gun is his "go-to" weapon, but there is not one single weapon appropriate to all scenarios.

I live on a ranch near the border. There is at least a small possibility that I might face "invaders" outside my home and at rifle distances. Although I might seek to avoid engagement in a lot of scenarios (due to the inherent possibility of some prosecutor being able to say my actions did not constitute a "good shoot"), I also know that until the actual situation presents itself you are not going to know which bowl of deep kimchee you are in. That's why I always have my Glock on my hip and my AR either in the truck or handy in the house.

Everyone has to evaluate their situation for themselves.
    Nobody knows what that situation will be. I am new to firearms so my first wish was an AR. I live in the country, and isolated in the summer, so long distance defense is within the realms of possibility BUT I do certainly want a handgun and a hand held flashlight in the other hand for the interior spaces. Is this a minimum setup? Or do people go on to rationalize any and every gun they want in a similar way?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyshitbird View Post
    In a 2000 sq ft ranch with lots of tight corners.....a pistol in one hand and an led light in the other. A man with a rifle has no hands.

1. Weapon retention and maneuverability
    2. Ability to point shoot
    3. Ability to identify your target without flagging it.

☝️Based on my level of training
    A man with a rifle holds in his hands far more fight stopping capability than he would with a pistol in one hand.

What, you can't point shoot a rifle??

PS: Put the LED light on the rifle, make it a bright one, and you should have no problem identifying an intruder inside your home with the muzzle/light pointed at the floor or ceiling and bouncing light to fill a room

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Nobody knows what that situation will be. I am new to firearms so my first wish was an AR. I live in the country, and isolated in the summer, so long distance defense is within the realms of possibility BUT I do certainly want a handgun and a hand held flashlight in the other hand for the interior spaces. Is this a minimum setup? Or do people go on to rationalize any and every gun they want in a similar way?

An AR is a fine choice for interior spaces, too. Look at basically every SWAT or entry type LE team in the country. When you see a stack outside someone's door, how many have pistols in their hands vs rifles? But a handgun is certainly wanted for carry in your person outside the house, so, yeah, you want a rifle and a handgun. Then a second of each.
    Last edited by Warp; 01-04-18 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since this is basic home defense strategies, and many have asserted the need for a light (I agree), let me ask the question: how many of you have had any formal low light training?

There is more to it than just grabbing the light in your off hand or sliding it onto the rail.

One of the things I quickly discovered when doing low light training is that folks often use their light as a security blanket, using the light way more than needed. The minute you illuminate, you have told a bad guy in the immediate area where you are - at the other end of the beam. Improperly used lighting tools are bullet magnets. If you are in a hallway, and you shine a light down the hall into the combination living room/dining room area of a fairly common floor plan, anyone in either of those rooms knows you are in the hallway. If they are salty they can get a good idea how far back from the corner you are. Try this, position yourself in a corner of one of the rooms the hall empties into. Have someone go to the end of the hall, shine the light down the hall and begin walking toward the open area. Notice how the beam angle widens as you get closer to the corner?

So keep your light use to the minimum. If possible use brief flashes and move after illumination. The eye focuses and 'snaps a picture' pretty quickly if you are focused on actually seeing. You can navigate in total darkness using brief flashes of light.

To make it harder for the bad guy to pinpoint your location when using a light to search - change the location of your light vertically and horizontally: change the angle of your light, but don't do so in a rhythmic fashion. This is one place where a hand held light is superior, you can keep your weapon indexed while using the light with your other hand.

And while you are moving that light around, pay attention and don't blind yourself by directing your light onto light colored walls or reflective objects. Doing so not only impacts your vision, but it may also front light you for a bad guy.

If possible clear the room from behind hard cover when using your light. A better strategy might be to use a switch to turn on a ceiling light and illuminate the whole room. Move away from the switch as soon as you flip it. Why turn on the lights? Bad guys love darkness, making it light negates that advantage.

The downside is that moment when the lights come on. No one moves completely silently, so the bad guy might have a general idea where you are. All he has to do is locate you near the switch, you on the other hand have the whole room to visually clear.

Which brings us to another point for home defense: in a military operation, with forces of close to equal size and weaponry, the defender almost always will prevail. In general terms it takes more men to attack than to defend. So there is something to be said for hunkering down and letting the bad guys come to you.

ETA: When confronting a bad guy use light to reduce his effectiveness - light directly into his eyes. Move left or right if possible while pinning him with the light. Watch hands in the splash.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-04-18 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why do you want to be quiet? Why are you trying to ambush the intruder, instead of simply hunkering down, calling 911, and holding the door? From what I've been told, singleton room clearing, even in your own home, can be quite difficult; is it really worth all that risk over some property? Movement from your own room will almost certainly be necessary if you have children, yet I don't see much point in being quiet in that, either. Assuming they're altered, they still have the disadvantage in trying to move in unfamiliar territory, possibly without much lights, so I'm not seeing the benefits of being stealthy outside of trying to punch your CONUS kill card.

Also, consider staging ear pro with your firearm, especially if you have active hearing protection that can arguably improve your hearing.
    The ear pro thing drives me freaking nuts! No ear pro! Go defend your family. Don’t worry about your damn hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    The ear pro thing drives me freaking nuts! No ear pro! Go defend your family. Don’t worry about your damn hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This ^^^^. If you have to fire your weapon in self-defense you will barely notice the report anyway.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Warp;2582194]A man with a rifle holds in his hands far more fight stopping capability than he would with a pistol in one hand.

Valid point, but I'd still rather have a free hand to strike or create distance with. Personal preference. I can run my pistol like a boss with a flashlight in hand.

At my level of training.....No. Not comfortably. I'm not saying there's not dudes out there who can. My quals consist of firing at a target 35 to 50 yards away and a speed reload once a year. No movement drills whatsoever and yes I know, I really need to take a class or 2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

PS: Put the LED light on the rifle, make it a bright one, and you should have no problem identifying an intruder inside your home with the muzzle/light pointed at the floor or ceiling and bouncing light to fill a room

An AR is a fine choice for interior spaces, too. Look at basically every SWAT or entry type LE team in the country. When you see a stack outside someone's door, how many have pistols in their hands vs rifles? But a handgun is certainly wanted for carry in your person outside the house, so, yeah, you want a rifle and a handgun. Then a second of each.
    This also speaks to what optic you want on your rifle. In the pitch black dark irons are pretty much useless, and I've found that with the night sight and a bright light you MIGHT be able to get by. But what of an optic? A 1-4 variable is overkill in your house. If you don't live in an envirnonment where your HD scenario exceeds 50-100 yards, then why does your optic shine at 300-400 yards? No need for range estimation or BDC's in the hallway. Fast sight acquisition is the thing. A simple RDS would seem to be the essential optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    This ^^^^. If you have to fire your weapon in self-defense you will barely notice the report anyway.
    Their are several reasons I have electronic ear pro available for HD.

1) I wear hearing aides. The ear pro would be quicker for me to don than my hearing aides.

2) Having done my fair share of building searches, I like the amplification.

3) I am well aware of auditory exclusion. The decibels still do their damage to your ears, evern if you don't notice the noise.

4) When the police show up I need to be able to hear their commands.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast