Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIG P226

Feedback Score
    The milled slide is the way to go. The old stamped carbon steel slide has a breech block pinned in place and that is a wear item for the roll pin. New style slides don't have that issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    As far as overall strength/durability/longevity, is there any notable difference between the current stainless slide and the older carbon steel version?
    Old version has pinned breech block assembly vs. new slides made from stainless with integral assembly. Stainless slide will be noticeably heavier and I prefer my stamped steel W. German Sigs (lighter and better balanced).

IF you are a super high round count shooter, you MAY notice that the breech block on a stamped slide MAY have some play develop, necessitating a replacement of the breech block roll pins.

Feedback Score
    The new slides with the HUGE extractor look like crap compared to the original stainless slide's external extractor or the timeless beauty of the original internal extractor stamped slide.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    The particular area of concern is underneath the frame rails. I don't care what you use (oil/grease/whatever) until the slide mates to the frame, there will be wear. Period. Typically the wear will subside once the two parts have "mated" for a lack of a better term and once stabilized, proper lubrication should prevent further wear. This is what happens when you have a stainless STEEL slide and an ALUMINUM frame.
    Exactly right.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE Flyer View Post
    Old version has pinned breech block assembly vs. new slides made from stainless with integral assembly. Stainless slide will be noticeably heavier and I prefer my stamped steel W. German Sigs (lighter and better balanced).

IF you are a super high round count shooter, you MAY notice that the breech block on a stamped slide MAY have some play develop, necessitating a replacement of the breech block roll pins.
    Shooting 5,000 rounds necesitates replacement of the breech block roll pins, play or no play.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Shooting 5,000 rounds necesitates replacement of the breech block roll pins, play or no play.
    That number is correct from Sig Sauer. It's an easy replacement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Gun store BS probably from a counter guy that thinks anodizing wear constitutes unusual wear. He probably thinks surface wear on the barrel hood has to be monitored too.

Keep it lubed, and it will be fine. By the time you can wear out the frame rails you'll have shot about $10K worth of 9mm ammo. At which point that pistol owes you nothing.
    What he said. Most people will not put enough rounds through the gun in a lifetime to wear out the frame rails.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    What he said. Most people will not put enough rounds through the gun in a lifetime to wear out the frame rails.
    Exactly and anyone who does wear out a frame by shooting the gun that much will give basically zero f**ks at that point and just buy a replacement. They'll also most likely be very very proficient with that platform by then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE Flyer View Post
    That number is correct from Sig Sauer. It's an easy replacement.
    I'm not proud of the ignorance of my youth, but I shot mine enough to break the pins. The pistol appears otherwise unharmed, but that was stupid of me. Do not neglect to replace them when appropriate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    I'm not proud of the ignorance of my youth, but I shot mine enough to break the pins. The pistol appears otherwise unharmed, but that was stupid of me. Do not neglect to replace them when appropriate.
    More times than not, just the pins break.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast