Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larger Threads At End of Barrel?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OK. I know he posts here as Constructor but I had no idea what his actual name is.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Keep in mind, some muzzle devices are optimized for a particular caliber (i.e. Precision Armament hybrids). Differences in gas volume and bullet "seal" may reduce the performance for a device compared to it's advertised effect. Also, pretty much every 30 cal device weighs more than it's 22 cal equivalent. Just some things to consider.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Bruin's statement is true, but in the past at least, many were more concerned about gas pressure imbalances that can effect precision/ accuracy. They wanted more of a distance from the projectile OD to the bore ID of some devices. Not meaning all by any means.
    To the OP though, the base barrel's manufacturing process has an influence into the degree of this. Also, it is known that reducing thread diameters smaller than the normal ones can magnify this greatly, i.e. 1/2x28 .308 barrels, etc..

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I would love to see some chrono info for two barrels, same ammo, same day, etc with the only variable being the thread sizing at the muzzle end. Some groups too. Preferably the testing would have been done without any muzzle device installed.

Probably too much to ask for.

Feedback Score
    Also, without an intent to derail this discussion, but with an intent to expand that if desired. We could look into some differences between having that portion of the barrel in a extension tensile force, or more of a compressive force, and what we would register to for possible MD's. etc..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I would love to see some chrono info for two barrels, same ammo, same day, etc with the only variable being the thread sizing at the muzzle end. Some groups too. Preferably the testing would have been done without any muzzle device installed.

Probably too much to ask for.
    You'd need a lot more than 2 barrels to get real data from.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    You'd need a lot more than 2 barrels to get real data from.
    I got a feeling asking for 2 barrels is going to be 2 too many.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it gets complicated more than that.

Feedback Score
    Before and after threading should give you "a good idea". That should eliminate barrel to barrel variance.

Feedback Score
    I'd expect it to have more to do with accuracy than velocity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast